Wednesday 12 April 2017

An Interview with Chris Kuridrani

Training changes and overseas travelling has made it harder to catch up with the Reds recently, so to make up for missing last week, I’ll be posting two interviews this week!

Today I got to catch up with two of the Reds players after training. Winger Chris Kuridrani and Samu Kerevi (Centre). Both are top Fijian blokes, and I enjoyed spending time with them! (Check back later this week to read my chat with Samu as well.)

Hi Chris, thanks for the interview.

It’s all good, good to be here.

So we know Kuridrani is a famous name in a lot of sports. Where did it all begin?

Well, my Dad got scouted over by one of the clubs here in Brisbane, and then me, my cousin.. he brought the whole family over and we all grew up here in Brisbane. Obviously, rugby was what we grew up with. Obviously, it was what our Dad came over for and what brought the family over to Australia. So we all started over here in Brisbane just junior footy and we were fortunate enough to make rep teams and get scouted after high school. Tevita [Chris’s cousin] went down to Canberra and me staying over here for the Reds. We’re still close and stay in contact, so it’s good.

Who is your senior team?

My senior team is GPS, it’s located in Ashgrove. It’s the same club that brought over my Dad from Fiji, so it’s kind of like a family club. It’s got a close place in my heart.

What is your preferred position when you play? What does that position involve?

My preferred position is wing. My Dad was a winger as well. Growing up as a little kid I always wanted to play on the wing. I’m probably not as fast, but I think my strength is ‘power’ and trying to break tackles. The winger is on the end of the back line. I guess it’s our job to score the tries at the end of the back line moves, chase kicks and what-not. You’ve got to be very versatile and athletic if you want to be a winger.

Who was your favourite sportsperson growing up?

My favourite sportsperson was Jonah Lomu. We played the same position. When he broke onto the scene, he was kind of the winger that I wanted to be like. Strong and powerful, but he used his speed to get around players. Jonah Lomu would definitely be the main one as a kid.

What is a highlight of your sporting career so far?

A highlight in my sporting career would probably be scoring my first try for the Reds, that was in 2015, and it was against the Sharks.

I got the call up to start, and I got to score my first try, which I didn’t think would come that early. But that’s definitely a highlight of my career - my first try.

Can you tell us something about yourself that no-one would know?

As a junior, I couldn’t make it on my team as a winger, so I had to play 5/8. The team was picked and my coach said there's no space on the wing, and that I’d have to play another position.

From there I played 5/8 from under 13s until under 17s, and it wasn’t until after school that I started playing wing again, the position that I wanted to play.

What is some advice for aspiring players, both boys and girls?

I think when you’re chasing goals, enjoy the journey, more than the actual destiny. Sometimes we get so caught up in chasing where we want to be rather than just enjoying the journey and the experiences along the way.

I think sometimes when we don’t get to the goal that we’re trying to get to, we get more discouraged and down. But I think it’s on the journey that you learn more about yourself and your character, rather than reaching your goals.

Everyone has goals, but I’d encourage just to enjoy the journey rather than trying to achieve the goal. That’s my advice.

Thanks Chris for your time.

Cheers, thanks so much Tom. Thanks for having me.



Rugby Rule of the Week

No comments:

Post a Comment