Thursday 29 June 2017

Sitting Down with Sef Fa'agase

Earlier this week, right after a tough mornings training, I was able to sit down with Reds prop Sef Fa'agase to chat. We spoke about rugby, his life, and his teams recent trip to Samoa - his families country of origin. Enjoy!

Hey Sef, Thanks for making the time to chat.

That's ok. Thanks for having me Tom.

How's training going for the Reds team at the moment?

Trainings been very tough. It's been almost like a mini-preseason. It's been a good opportunity, during the June period with all the [Wallabies] test matches where us as individuals can get better with the little things that we need to work on that we can't really do during the season, so trainings been really good.

What was your highlight from the Samoa trip?

I guess playing in front of my family, they don't get to see me play too often. They've only been able to watch from a distance. And I guess showcasing to the boys a little bit about where I come from was a real highlight.

You guys played well, especially with the captain out of action.

Yeah I think we played exceptionally well. We were unlucky to not come away with the win - but it was good that the captain that we had that night stepped up when Samu got injured and he led really well.

You're originally from New Zealand. How did you end up playing in Brisbane?

Yes I was born in New Zealand, but my family moved to Brisbane in 94. So I've spent most of my life in Brisbane, and I've played most of my junior footy out in Beaudesert, and now I'm here with the Reds.

What do you enjoy most about playing in the Prop position? What does the position involve?

I guess being a prop you're really at the front line of it all, especially within the scrums, it's my favourite part of the game. Just being physical with the other opposing player, it's why I love playing.

My main job as a prop is scrum first and foremost, and I play an integral part in the line out functioning. So a lot of lifting, and a lot of set pieces.

Can you tell us something about yourself that not many people may know?

Ok, something that not a lot of people know about me... it wasn't til after I left school that I picked up rugby, but during high school I was a cheer-leader, so I think I can thank that for my line-out lifting. [Laughs].

You already have a lot of experience in rugby society. Do you have any advice for someone wanting to pursue a career in rugby union, both boys and girls?

So like I said, I didn't pick up rugby until after I left school, but for anyone that has a dream of playing rugby, I just say go ahead, anything is possible. Just as long as you set yourself some goals, I think that's the main part. And then asking as many questions as you can, people that are around, within the rugby society. So that's my biggest advice. Ask a lot of questions, set goals, and anythings possible.

The next Reds game is against the Brumbies on Friday the 7th July. For sure I'll be there watching and supporting. All the best for your teams training over the next few weeks.

Thank you a lot! I look forward to seeing you there, and I look forward to hopefully getting a win against the Brumbies, just for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment