Wednesday 27 September 2017

Locker Room Chat with Lachie


I had a great time chatting with another player who’s taken on the challenge of changing his football code. After 70 games for the Brisbane Broncos, Lachie Maranta has just finished his first season with the Reds! Thanks for joining the cause Lachie, and thanks for your time today!

Hi Lachie, How's it going?

Good mate. Yourself? Bit hot? Trying to get out of this heat?

Doing good, bit hot for me too. But I’m glad to be here. Thanks for taking the time to catch up.

No worries, it’s always good to see you down at training.

Has your time with the Reds been enjoyable so far?

Yeah, I’ve really enjoyed it mate. It was a bit new at the start, getting to know everyone and learning the new game, but I’m loving it now, almost a year in. I’m just trying to get better every day.

How's the NRC season been going for you personally?

A little bit up and down. I played the first game against Fiji, had a pretty good game, then had a tight groin for the last three weeks, so I haven’t played since then. All good now, so I guess I’ll get a run this weekend over in Perth.

How have you found the transition back to Rugby Union, after playing League at a high level? And is it easier or harder than you thought it would be?

Yeah, some of the things have been a lot harder - things that I didn’t think would be, the flow of the game, things like that. Obviously in League you get six tackles, and you get the ball back after that. Whereas in Union, you can go without the ball for fifteen or sixteen phases. So I guess learning how to inject myself into the game was the tough thing, but I’m starting to get it now. I’m enjoying my footy and starting to find my feet.

Other than the obvious rule changes, what differences have you noticed between playing for an NRL club, and a Super Rugby team?

Well, I guess, probably what I just said, the flow of the game is a little bit different. I had to get used to not standing up and playing the ball between my legs, that was probably something I was a little bit scared I’d do out of habit. But I’ve managed to not do that yet, that would have been embarrassing.

Has this season for you been affected by any of your previous injuries?

No I’ve been pretty blessed with my injuries, I had one major one last year with the Broncs where I had a bolt put through my wrist, but other than that I’ve been pretty lucky. Touch wood!

What do you love most about living in Brisbane City?

Well I guess, it’s a bit weird to say, but the weathers probably the best thing about Brissy, it’s always sunny. We have the occasional shower and rain, but you can get out of your house nearly every day. But I don’t like the heat when it rolls around to pre-season time. It’s a little bit too hot for the boys, I wouldn’t mind it cooling down. It’s already 35 degrees in Spring at the moment, so I’m sure we’re in for a tough hot pre-season.

What do you love most about Rugby Union?

I think, from this early part, I like how open the game can be. Obviously, in counter-attack, in League, getting the ball back can be a little bit tougher. Looking up at a line of twelve blokes, that was a bit hard, whereas in Union you can have a bit more space. It’s something I’m starting to find, and get through some of those gaps.

Tell us something about yourself that not many people know...

Probably that I wear glasses. I lost them about 6 months ago, and just found them at home. I’ve gotta start wearing them, I’m starting to get headaches from squinting at everything. A few of the boys thought they were fake, but I had to show them and get them to put them on, and they couldn't see properly. I’m starting to get used to my glasses again.

Thanks Lachie for your time.

No worries Tommy, it’s always good to see you mate, like I said at the start.

All the best with the remainder of the NRC season.

Thanks mate. You too, hopefully see you down at training a bit more. Always love having you down here.




2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quickly this site will indisputably be famous among all blogging people, because of its fastidious articles or reviews. chat hot

    ReplyDelete