Wednesday 4 July 2018

A Conversation with Wallaby Great George Smith


For rugby fans, the Reds player I interviewed today doesn’t really need an introduction. A Wallaby and Super Rugby veteran, (111 and 157 games respectively), the Reds describe Smith as a bit like fine wine that is “only getting better with age.

Queensland have benefited from his experience over the past two seasons. Thanks George for your time this week. We are hoping you get back to 100% for the final game of the season next week!

Hi George, thanks for making the time to catch up. I know it’s getting to the end of the season, but I've been looking forward to it.

How’s your health at the moment?

As of today, it’s not great. I’m pretty healthy and fit overall, but I injured myself in the game against the Auckland Blues. It hasn’t come back 100% for me to be able to play this weekend. I’d love to be able to play, but unfortunately injuries happen.

What have you enjoyed the most about playing for the Reds and being based at Ballymore?

It was great to get the opportunity to play with the Reds. I’ve had a long history with the ACT Brumbies and now the past 2 seasons I’ve had here, I’ve really enjoyed being with the players, the staff and the people in the organisation. It’s been great to see the fans who do come out and support us and the future Queensland Reds players. 

I think the friendships are the big thing that you develop when you’re playing rugby. There’s a lot of talented players here, but also good human beings.

You must have been pleased with the match against the Lions, making your first starting appearance this year. How did it feel playing that game, coming back from injury?

Yeah, it was great to come back and start that game. It was a big game for us, because we’d just lost the previous week against the Waikato Chiefs. And you know, the determination that the guys showed, particularly by scoring some tries against the run of play was fantastic. We’ve showed glimpses throughout the year of what the Queensland Reds can do.

In that game, we definitely played well - against the team that was the finalist last year and one of the form teams of the last few seasons. To play against them and win was fantastic. It was nice to see the Reds fans walk out happy, I was pretty pleased.

You have played against all sorts of teams, all over the world in both Test and Super Rugby. Do you have a game or a moment that you would consider your most memorable?

I think those milestones throughout your career… your 1st, your 50th, your 100th are always special - for State and territory teams too. Winning the Bledisloe Cup was special… it’s been more than a decade since the Wallabies have won the Blesdisloe, so it was great to be a part of that squad. The semi-final win against the All Blacks in 2003 was fantastic. There’s all sorts of games I’ve enjoyed over the years.

How do you think the Reds have improved this season?

New systems and new ways of thinking always bring challenges. Last season, we had Nick Stiles here, I thought he was very good with what he did. This year we have Brad Thorne and there’s been changes there. We’ve had a lot of players who have debuted this season. Allowing them to gain experience in Super Rugby, it’s always a learning curve for them. At the same time, we’ve had glimpses of good play this year. It’s about building on that and being consistent.

What do you enjoy most about living in Brisbane, it must be a bit of a change to Japan?

I enjoy the weather, although it can be very hot in summer. I like my winter here, because it’s not too hot. I like the people here too. It’s a slower pace of life compared to what I was used to in Sydney, although I’ve been away from Sydney for 10 years now. Living in different cities has been good. It’s been different to Tokyo. There’s neon lights there everywhere, a hell of a lot of people, and I find Brisbane’s a very relaxed lifestyle.

What else have you been up to, in your spare time besides rugby?

I have 4 children who keep me quite busy. I’m enjoying watching my children play rugby, for the North Side Rebels, so that’s been fun.

There are business interests up here as well, I have a kids play-centre up in Northlakes, which is a booming area. I enjoy engagement with the community there and hopefully providing a play-center that they enjoy as well.

What's one piece of advice you would share with up-and-coming rugby players?

I think up-and-coming rugby players can get too focused on what their goal is and forget to enjoy themselves. Enjoying your rugby allows you to look forward to playing over the weekend and training throughout the week - the anticipation of the game.

Don’t lose that fun and the happy experience that comes with playing what is sometimes a serious sport.

Thank you very much for your time. Wishing you a speedy recovery this week as well!

Look that’s the plan. I want to be a part of that last game with the Reds [at Suncorp Stadium against the Sunwolves], so hopefully I get the opportunity to play.

Tom, thank you very much. Good to get the interview in!

No comments:

Post a Comment