Thursday 23 August 2018

A Friend from Norths from the Northern Hemisphere: Yuhei Yamazaki


First of all, congrats to the GPS Rugby Club who are now Premier Grade champions!!! What a game - and well done Uni for putting up a good fight! It’s funny, I’m already looking forward to the next club rugby season.

Speaking of club rugby… great moments and great people… Back in May when I was watching the Reds play in Tokyo, a guy named Yuhei came up to me and said he used to play for Norths rugby club in Brisbane!


He played for Norths for 2 seasons, in 1990-91. He has now retired from playing and is a lecturer in Health Sciences, in Kamogawa (near Tokyo). We kept in touch and I asked him if he’d be interested in answering some questions for Reds Rugby Rules.

I hope you enjoy his answers! (He told me he’d forgotten a lot of his English, but I think he did pretty well!!)
It was great to meet you in Tokyo at the Sunwolves vs Reds game. Thank you for keeping in touch and for doing this email interview!

You told me that you have played rugby in Brisbane before for Norths. What brought you to Australia?

I went to Australia, because I wanted to play Rugby in Australia. I was fan of Mark Ella.

I didn’t know anyone in Australia, however, luckily I met a junior coach of Norths, George Minehan. He introduced me to the team.

If I didn’t meet him my life would have been different. Thanks to him and his family, I have been enjoying my life.

How many years did you live in Australia?

I lived in Australia for about two and half year more totally.

How many years did you play for Norths rugby club? And how old were you when you played here?

I played for Norths for 2 years. I was 22 and 23 years old.

What did you love about Norths?

I loved Norths, as the team coach and mates were friendly like a family and kind. We had lots of laughs.

Do you have any photos of you playing for Norths?

I have some photos with the team mates. These are my treasure.


Did you travel to Tokyo just to see the Sunwolves? You must be a big fan!

I am crazy about Rugby, actually it was my second time watching the the Sunwolves at stadium, though I wanted to watch the game because of the Queensland Reds. The Queensland Reds are my heroes.

How did you get into playing rugby?

My father used to play Rugby when I was high school and university. He established a junior Rugby club when I was in primary school and I joined the team. 

What’s your favourite thing about rugby?

My favourite thing of rugby is the heart of Rugby player and people who like Rugby are so nice.

Are you looking forward to the World Cup next year?!

It is like a dream to have the World cup in Japan, which I never imagined before.

I watched the first World Cup in 1987 the semi-final between Australia and France, and the All Blacks and Wales.

Thanks for answering some questions!

Thank you very much too.

It reminds me of the time with wonderful team mates and my host family, and nice people in Australia.

Hopefully, we do get to have that drink in Tokyo, or maybe in Komogawa some day!

I am looking forward to seeing you again.

No comments:

Post a Comment