Thursday 27 September 2018

For the Love Of It: An Interview with Reds/QLD Country Scrum-half Tate McDermott


The NRC is heating up! Queensland Country are at the top of table, even after a close loss to the Western Force on Sunday and Brisbane City are coming off two big wins. So the annual City Vs Country is set to be a fun one! I’ll be there, at the Wests Bulldogs Club, Saturday at 3pm.

And during the lead up, I was lucky enough to catch up with Tate McDermott, Queensland Country scrum-half and of course now an up and coming Reds player! I hope you enjoy reading our chat!

Tough game over the weekend, but you guys have played extremely well this season.  How do you feel about the NRC season so far overall?

Yeah, it was a tough loss over the weekend. But we started the season well and you know, we kind of picked up from where we left off last year. We’ve had a few good wins, over Fiji, the Canberra Vikings and the Melbourne Rising. We started well, to be in the position we’re in now, on top I believe.

How much are you looking forward to this weekends game?

Should be good aye! I’m really excited. That’s where I made my debut last year, against them. That was up at my home on the Sunny Coast, up at Noosa. We’ll be going up against some of the boys we’ve been playing and training with all year. Ideally we’ll put a cricket score on them, but it’ll be a close game. It’ll be a really tough game and I’m really excited for it, we all are.

How long have you played rugby and what drew you to play the game?

So I guess I’ve been playing since I was four. I started at a little school on the Coast called Matthew Flinders. That’s where I attended school for the first eight years of my life and then I moved across to Sunny Coast Grammar. But I guess I really fell in love with the game, in the early years, you know, winning the Bledisloe and winning those world cups early on. I always loved watching them play and I always wanted to be where they were. I’m pretty lucky standing where I am today with the Reds. I just love the game!

What’s your favourite memory with the Reds this year?

Um, I’m gonna say my favourite memory would be my starting debut against the Sunwolves, in the last game of the year. It was good to get a win. Other memories would be my debut against the Rebels. They’d probably been my two.

Are you looking forward to the upcoming Super Rugby season?

Yeah, definitely. While we only won five games last year, we certainly built a platform that we can really work on next year. We’re putting hard work in and Thorny has a plan and we’re looking forward to that and what we can achieve next year. So hopefully we can make you and the rest of Queensland proud.



No comments:

Post a Comment