Thursday 11 July 2019

Club Rugby Rules! A Profile of the Great Norths Eagles



For all my first time readers, I'm glad you stopped by! This is where I cover all things Reds related. As every Queensland rugby fan should know, grassroots is where it's at!

Last week I had a lot of fun visiting Norths Rugby club and chatting to a number of the players and coaches. Located in Wooloowin, on Shaw Road, Norths is known as a great “family” club with a history that stretches back 90 years.

According to their website, their goal is to develop players and everyone involved in a “safe, challenging and enjoyable environment”. From my visits and conversations with players and coaches, it looks like they are achieving this!

I loved catching up with an old mate, Michael Hayes, (now the Eagles Women's XV coach) and Dane Zander, a talented up-and-coming prop, who is also the youngest player in the Premier squad! Dane's great interview is down below, and I'll post Michael's as "Part 2" next week!

Chatting to those guys and a bunch of other players and coaches, I got the impression that this really is a friendly, hard-working club. They are focused and yet as Hayesy puts it, a "family away from family". 

Enjoyed watching the mens Premier team train and meeting them afterwards

Watching the 3rd division mens team train (on the left) and the women's team (on the right)
Met some of the Women's Eagles players, after catching up with their coach Michael Hayes -
(his interview will be coming next week, you don't want to miss it!)

For my first Norths club interview, let's meet Dane Zander. A talented prop who is now the youngest player in the Norths Eagles Premier side! A nice, down to earth guy, I'm sure many people will enjoy meeting and perhaps even interviewing him in the future.

Hey Dane,

How are you feeling about your teams season so far?

Yeah, I’m feeling really good about the team. We’ve had a bit of a slow start to the season, but we’ve worked on a lot of things. We’ve had a few injuries as well, which has slowed us down a bit. But I feel like our teams looking really well coming into this weekend. I’m keen to rip in this weekend.

What was the focus of tonight’s training?

The focus of tonights training was getting all the little things right. We’ve been doing really well with our pick and drive, so with the forwards, we’ve been working really well on that. Kick-offs as well… we’ve been working hard on that too. Been looking good.

That’s the forwards. I don’t know what the backs have been doing. Passing the ball, doing nothing. (Laughs).

How does it feel being the youngest players in the squad?

It feels good. I get to learn off a lot of the older people that I’ve been playing with, like Jordan Tuapou - and Tonga Ma'afu’s been a really good help.

Being the youngest person’s good, because I get to take a lot of things in, learning from a lot of the guys with a lot experience. 

What do you love most about Norths rugby club?

The thing I love about Norths rugby club is it’s a big family club. Everyone’s welcome, there’s always an open door at Norths. It’s a fun club to be around, all the times of the year.

How long have you been playing Rugby Union?

I’ve been playing rugby union since I was probably 8 years old.. about 11 years.

What inspired you to play the game?

What inspired me to play the game was.. at school, one of my mates started playing the game and I just wanted to have a run around with them, meet knew people.. And yeah, blow some steam off in the weekend.

What’s your favourite thing about rugby?

My favourite things about rugby is playing with 15 of my mates every weekend and they’ll always have your back on the field.

How long have you played for Norths?

I’ve played at Norths since I was a Colt, so this’ll be my third or fourth year. I was at Albany Creek for my juniors, with all my mates and a few the guys I played with there have moved here.

Thanks for your time Dane. I’ll see you around, for sure.

No worries. It’s a pleasure talking Tom.
A few weeks back - I enjoyed watching a few teams from Norths play against Uni.
The third division team scored some great tries on their way to a win.
North's Women playing against the Uni Women's side
Sideline with some of the crew. Thanks for making sure I had a good spot to watch the game!
Hayesy. Make sure you check back next week for my great interview with this experienced player and coach.


Thanks to the Glen for arranging my visit and to Norths Rugby Club for having me!


No comments:

Post a Comment