Thursday 19 September 2019

Catching up with Adam Korczyk

Right in the middle of the Brisbane Cities NRC season, Adam Korczyk took some time to chat. Adam was one of my first interviewees for this blog and is always great to talk to! (Catch up on that interview here.)

I was told afterwards that when he runs out this Sunday with his team, he will become the most capped Brisbane City player since the team began in 2014!
Brisbane City is playing NSW Country at Norths Rugby Club in Wooloowin on Sunday!!! Even with the Wallabies World Cup campaign kicking off on Saturday, there’s still some great NRC games this weekend, so don’t miss them!

Thanks for taking the time to catch up. You were one of my first interviews when I started Reds Rugby Rules and its always good to chat.

Thanks for having me Tommy. Always a pleasure, never a chore.

Tough loss last weekend for Brisbane City. What has your team been working on this week ahead of this Sunday’s game at Norths?

Yeah, obviously it was a tough loss. Canberra are a tough team, they’ve got a lot of Brumbies players. I think this week we’ve sort of been working on our game. We probably weren’t working around the game plan as much against Canberra and sort of let them back in the game with a few turn-overs and penalties. We’ve been working on following our game plan. If we follow the plan we’ve set out for this season, I think we’ll get wins that way. We’ve got the talent, we’ve just got to work hard and the wins will come from that.

How have you found this year overall so far?

Yeah, it’s been to good to be honest. Obviously I’ve been here since the start of the NRC, as you know at Brisbane City, it’s always a different group coming in, different players, sometimes different coaches. We’ve gelled quickly, which is obviously what you want with a short season, I think we’re going well. All of the games we have had, we’ve certainly been in it, we’ve been competing well.. But maybe the lack of cohesion, not being a team for so long… that you have to get over quickly in the NRC. But yeah other than that, I’ve always enjoyed playing for Brisbane City and it’s going well so far and hopefully we’ll be going into the finals as well.

This is your 6th season with Brisbane City in the NRC! What’s been your favourite thing about the NRC so far?

My favourite thing is… Obviously, you get to play footy against Super Rugby players from different states a teams, but the best thing is always playing with club players that have come through, say the Queensland Premier rugby system, that you might not have had the chance to play… so it’s meeting new players and sort of testing yourself. When I came in, I was obviously a young guy, I always enjoyed playing the Super Rugby players. Now I’ve developed a bit and played Super Rugby myself, and I love playing with the young guys coming through. The energy and the “youth” they bring is quite contagious, you love it. I’m not that old, but there’s 19-20 year olds around and you feel young and that’s the main thing I’ve enjoyed this season.

Do you still get called kiwi now?

I do! I think it’s sort of stuck with me now. Obviously. I got the nick-name when I moved from New Zealand, I was born there and I had an accent… I’ve lost my accent, I think, I don’t know what I have now. Probably a bit of everything. But yeah, they still do call me Kiwi. During my first year at NRC, our team manager called me Carol Brady (from the Brady bunch), because I had long hair. So people started calling me Carol. But people sort of moved on and that’s disappeared into the woodwork. I’d rather have Kiwi than Carol that’s for sure. (Laughs.)

What are your future goals as a player?

My aspiration has always been to make the Wallabies. I was lucky to be in the Wallabies squad in 2017 and I still have that hunger. I’ve been in Super Rugby for 4 years and I think I can still develop. I’m 24, I’m still young, so for myself, it’s just to get better and always aspire and have that final goal of making the Wallabies and experiencing test rugby.

Always a pleasure catching up Adam. See you at Norths this weekend!

No thank you. It’s always a pleasure chatting with you. Can’t wait to see you there!


No comments:

Post a Comment