Thursday 3 October 2019

A Conversation with Sefa Naivalu


I enjoyed catching up with Sefa Naivalu earlier this week, just before his team training with Brisbane City. I hope you enjoy reading our interview as much as I enjoyed chatting!

Hi Sefa, thanks for making time this afternoon to catch up.

How are you enjoying this years NRC season?

Yeah really good. I enjoy every moment here with the Reds and Brisbane City. Just a good group, good bunch of blokes
Sometimes when I finish training, when I come home, I can’t wait to come back to training. Just the environment that I enjoy the most. I’ve enjoyed every moment with the Reds. 

What’s been a highlight of being based at Ballymore this year?

Like I said before, with a great group, you enjoy your footy. Also, being at Ballymore, with the history that the Reds have and representing Queensland as a State, it’s amazing to be part of it.

When you moved from Fiji to Australia in 2014, what was the biggest change you had to get used to?

For me it was adjusting to the lifestyle in Australia, especially the weather down in Melbourne. It’s quite cold and freezing. Yeah, just adjusting to the lifestyle.

What’s some advice you would give to young players who want to play rugby professionally, both boys and girls?

My advice would be, just working hard, taking opportunities that come your way and making sacrifices.

I’ve made sacrifices, I’ve worked hard to get here where I am today. I’m still doing the same, I’m still working hard and making sacrifices I can for my family.

You’ve had to bounce back from injuries a few times in your career. What’s something you learnt during your recovery process?

Yeah. When I got injured it was mostly negative things that would came up in my head. The most important thing that helped me bounce back is my motivation. My Mum told me “I know you will make it to your rugby career, but don’t forget your younger brother and sister”.
I broke my tibia in 2015 and I was out for nearly a year, 11 months. Not playing, just doing rehab and training. Just changing my mindset, being positive all the time, instead of putting negative thoughts in your head.

That’s great advice. Thanks Sefa for taking time to chat. All the best in Perth this weekend!

Thanks Tom! Always good to see you around.

This weekend, Brisbane City play the Force over in Perth, while Queensland Country are playing NSW Country at Bond on Sunday at 3pm!


No comments:

Post a Comment