Thursday 27 February 2020

A Conversation with Queensland Winger: Courtney Hodder


This week, the Reds Women team have their very first 2020 home game, against the Rebels at Suncorp Stadium!  Coming off an 80-5(!) win against WA, the team is in fine form.

It’ll be a “Double-Header”, with the Mens team playing the Sharks afterwards! I’m a bit excited.

In anticipation, I caught up with Courtney Hodder, who has recently come back from a major injury.

She’s a very exciting player to watch and a fun person to talk to. Enjoy reading my interview… & I’ll see you at Suncorp on Saturday!

Hey Courtney, congrats on a very impressive win last week!

Thank you!

How special is it that you’ll be playing at Suncorp this weekend?

Yeah it’s pretty exciting. With me moving here - this is home now - I’ve got my family here, or my in-laws… they’ll be down there to support me… It’ll be good to get around the girls and also play a double-header with the boys which will be pretty exciting. First home game, so I’m keen!

What’s the teams focus going to be, going into the game against the Rebels?

I guess stick to the game plan, stay composed when the defense is shooting up… do what we’re good at, use our width and use our forwards to get those hard lines and hopefully we can come out on top!

Can you tell me about your rugby journey… How did you end up playing rugby?

It sort of started at school. My boyfriend is a kiwi… I came from an AFL background, his family introduced me to rugby and I enjoyed it ever since. I started off playing Sevens, then moved into Fifteens, then unfortunately broke my leg. This is my first year back and I’m keen to give it my all and excited to be back.

How did you end up in Queensland?

So I was living with my partner in the year prior to moving and his sister got a scholarship here. For me it was a pretty easy move. They made the move and I thought rugby’s a lot more developed here, it’s only going to better me and my skills.

Who’s your biggest rugby hero?

Um, I don’t really watch much rugby. Someone I really admired was Portia Woodman in Sevens, when she was playing. It’ll be exciting to see her come back and play again, but I don’t watch much rugby. I just like playing (laughs).

What are your goals, either in rugby, or outside of rugby?

I guess for me, being an indigenous person I want to show people that you know, anythings possible. And with the game of rugby, just give the game my all and hopefully be given an opportunity to wear the green and gold.

What’s your favourite thing to do, when you’re not playing rugby?

I love just watching TV, spending quality time with my family and swimming… I’m a big water person! Love the beaches, love the pool - that’s the stuff I enjoy.

All the best at Suncorp on Saturday! I’ll be there to cheer you all on!

Thank you so much. It’ll be good to see you and hopefully we’ll get a photo after the game!

The Reds Women take on the Melbourne Rebels on Saturday 29th at 3:40pm 
The Mens side are playing against the Sharks at 6:15pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment