Friday 10 February 2017

An Interview with Tongan Thor - aka Taniela Tupou


On a very hot Friday morning, right after his teams last training before the international Tens tournament in Brisbane, we sat down the with Taniela Tupou, otherwise known to Rugby fans as Tongan Thor. He was kind enough to answer some questions, and share about his journey to playing rugby in Brisbane and what motivates him the most.

After so much interest from clubs around the world, what brought you to the Reds?

I grew up in Tonga and Quade Cooper and Will Genia, I was one of their biggest fans. I think that's one of the reason I came to the Reds - because of Quade and Will Genia. But I grew up in Tonga and I supported the Wallabies, Quadey and Willy were here, and the Reds are here in Australia, and that's why I came here pretty much.

Which club do you play for?

Im playing for Brothers. It's a really good club. We won the championship last year... it was good. I've been here three years and, it was my first time winning a premiership for my club. If you ever decide to play one day, come to Brothers!

I know you play tight-head prop, what is your role in that position?

My role is the scrum. It sounds funny, but that's the most important thing for tight-heads. We have to get it right, and all the other things come later on. For the tight-head, loose-head and hooker, our job is the scrum, and we make sure we do that well. And then, hitting the rucks, tackles and... you know I love running the ball, but I have to scrum first.

What's the toughest thing about pre-season training?

Pre-season - it's just running. Running, running, running, to get yourself ready for the season. During the season you don't have much time for fitness. It's all about all the cores and movements and stuff. We have four weeks of pre-season, which is running, and contact, and smashing each other. And especially here in Queensland, as you know it's hot. It's pretty tough.

Can you tell us something about yourself that not many people would know?

Ok. I'm one of 11, because I have seven sisters, and three brothers. So not many people know that, but I'm the youngest of 11. I have some bigger brothers. You think I'm big! There are bigger brothers out there, some bigger boys out there.

We know your name isn't really Thor. But can you tell us if Taniela has a special meaning?

There was this lady, I forgot where she's from, she came to Tonga ages ago. She used to help my Dad, cos my Dad didn't have a job, so my Dad worked for her. She pretty much provided stuff for my family. Her dads name is Daniel, so I was named after her Dad. Her name was Aileen. My name is Daniel - and Daniel is is Taniela in Tongan.

What would be some advice for aspiring players, both boys and girls?

I'd say, never give up. For me, I came from nothing. I grew up in Tonga, and I made the Tongan under-14s, and I went to New Zealand, and we played against Sacred Heart, my [future] school. And when I went back to Tonga, they contacted me and said we feel you're a good player, we're gonna pick you to come play for New Zealand and study there and play footy. My Mum didn't want me to go, but for me, I was 14 at the time, and I thought, to have a future, I'd need to leave Tonga. So I think just, appreciate what you have, and never give up. And if you're thinking of giving up, just think of something that motivates you, like your family. For me, what keeps me going is my Mum. My Dad passed away so it's my Mum who keeps me going. I can do everything when I think of my Mum. It's that important. It's easier here. You get everything here. But in Tonga what's on the table, you have to eat it. Here, you have choices. But over there in Tonga, if it's taro, or just bread, with no butter.. You just appreciate what you have. There's people out there that have nothing. So just be grateful and happy with what you have.

Thank you Taniela for your time, good luck on Saturday.

Thanks Tom, we appreciate that mate. If there's anything we can help you with, just come and let me know. Cos we're more than happy to help you out. Thank you, I'll do my best on Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. Another top notch interview, what a sweet guy he is! Keep it coming Mr Hamilton.

    ReplyDelete