Friday 21 April 2017

An Interview with Rob Simmons

Today, I was able to track down Rob Simmons, (Wallabies and Reds lock) for an interview. To make it special, it was his birthday earlier this week. (Happy birthday for Wednesday Rob!!)

'The Reds have a "bye" this weekend (this means they have no game are able to rest). But the whole team have been training hard this week none-the-less. Thanks Rob for taking the time time to catch up, right after a big session!

Hi Rob, Glad we finally get to chat. Just want to ask a few questions.

We heard that you are from Theodore. What was it like growing up as a country boy?

I loved growing up in Theodore. It was good fun. I got to do a lot of things that people who grow up in the city don't get to do. I grew up riding horses, and in the weekend going out with my dad out on the farm - we came from a cattle farm. Mum always tried getting me into as many sports as I could. I think I was an outdoor kid which drove her up the wall, so she was enrolling me in every sport she could... I grew up playing rugby league actually - out in central Queensland it's all rugby league.

We know you play lock. What does that position involve?

I think to the public, the lock is probably the most unknown, in terms of what we actually do around the field. Obviously the set piece is very important helping and pushing in the scrum. The front row directs a lot of the weight, the back five create a lot of that weight, and strength in the scrum. And then obviously, you see us jumping a lot in the line outs, being generally taller people. I get to call the line-outs, and so my job is basically to win the ball each time the balls kicked out. Basically we're seen as the workhorses around the field, just doing those hard carries, mainly second phase, off set-piece, and then a lot of clean-outs, short meter carries into the set defence and things like that.

Who is your senior team?

Didn't have a club, obviously coming from the country. Then coming from boarding school on the Gold Coast, when I first left school I chose to go to Sunnybank. They sort of first contacted me and my school coach came from Sunnybank the year before that, so he had good things to say about it, and they looked after me. I enjoyed going there. It was a bit further out from where I lived, but I’ve got some good friends down there now.

Who was your favourite player growing up?

Like I said, I grew up playing rugby league, so as a young kid I was a big fan of Shane Webcke, [Petero] Civoniceva and Allan Langer. As I grew to know rugby union, I became a big fan of John Eales. I suppose I was getting told I’d be a second rower growing up [laughs], so I was drawn to those kind of players.

How many seasons have you played for the Reds?

So I came to Brisbane straight out of school. I had about 6 months in the academy and then straight here to the Reds, and I’ve been here ever since. So this is going on my 11th season. 

What is the biggest highlight in your life so far?

Obviously getting married, I got married at the end of last year, and that was a big moment for me. But pertaining to rugby, winning that grand final in 2011 and being a part of that, and I suppose seeing the hard work come through from 2 years prior to that transfer into that 2011 season. Both World Cups have been big for me, especially the 2015 one. That was a very big year for me and for a lot of those guys that played in the World Cup, going all the way to the final, and I suppose going down, but that whole experience and the lead in to that World Cup was amazing.

Can you tell us something about you that not many people may know?

That’s a tough question! I suppose you covered it - the things I did on the farm as a kid… I think the biggest thing I suppose is people think that rugby players and horse riding don’t go hand in hand, but I know my way around riding a horse and around cattle a fair bit, I grew up on a farm, so I know a fair bit about that sort of industry I suppose.

You have played for both the Reds and the Wallabies on numerous occasions. What advice do you have for aspiring players, both boys and girls?

Obviously enjoy yourself -  everyone always says that. But I suppose what goes behind it, it’s one of those games that when it turns professional, it’s pretty tough day in and day out if you’re not enjoying yourself, but I think that’s the key. You see so many people in the business world waking up and not wanting to go to work. The alarm goes off a bit too early sometimes, but overall it’s easy to get out of bed when you’re enjoying yourself, and if you’re not enjoying it, I suppose that’s advice for most people in life really, you’ve got to look to something different.

Thanks Rob for the chat. I hope we can talk again soon.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment