Wednesday 11 July 2018

Chatting with Up-and-Comer Jordan Petaia


This week after the Reds captains run, I had a good chat with Jordan Pataia. At 18 years old, he is the youngest player in the Reds and also, someone who claimed a record, as the youngest player to make his Super Rugby debut!

Especially after travelling to France with the Australian Under-20s, you can definitely say it’s been a stellar year for him!

Thanks Jordan for your time today and good luck to you and the team this week against the Sunwolves!

Hey Jordan, Nice to catch up like this. 2018 has been a big year for you. Can tell me one or two highlights from the year so far?

Yeah, 2018’s been a very unexpected year. A lot of great outcomes for me, I’m really blessed. One of the major things that’s come out of 2018 is obviously playing Super Rugby, I’ve enjoyed that a lot, it’s been a great opportunity. And also the travel, travelling to Europe [with the Australian Under-20s] and Japan [with the Reds]. They’re both really pretty, really lovely places to visit.

Well done to you and the team last week, beating the Rebels. What did you enjoy about last weeks game and what are you looking forward to the most about playing the Sunwolves on Friday?

I enjoyed getting the W last week and this week I’m looking forward to trying to beat these guys that really smashed us over in Tokyo. That was pretty unfortunate, but we get the opportunity to try and hit back and try and beat them. I’m looking forward to trying to do that with the boys.

It's been a big year for you with the Reds. What's something you think you've done well, which has helped you make the starting squad so quickly?

Um, probably listening to the older boys, taking their advice. Just following, doing what I’m told, and learning and picking up new things every week. They’ve really helped me, which has made the transition from school a whole lot easier. The work ethic that they’ve shown me has probably rubbed off and helped me as a player.

Over in the Under-20s World Cup in France, you were joined by Harry, Angus, Hamish, Tait and some other Queenslanders. Was it good having some of your team-mates from here with you?

Yeah. It was good having those boys over there. I came over late, but it was good to have some familiar faces over there. I also knew a lot of the other Under-20s boys too.

On the field, it also helped knowing each other. It was good to have them there, spitting jokes every now and then, keeping the banter alive.

I'd love to talk about Club rugby for a moment! I recently did a profile on your club, the West Bulldogs! Have you always been with Wests?

No, I used to play league when I was little. I never really played club rugby through high school, I played a little under-16 comp for Souths in year 11, but that’s the most I’ve played club rugby. This year is my first experience playing club rugby with Wests. I haven’t played much, but it’s been enjoyable. I’m looking forward to re-joining the boys again soon.

What's something you love about the club?

I love the culture. The boys love each other, so that’s always good. Pretty nice facilities. They’ve been rebuilt recently. When I’ve been there, it’s been a really good culture there.

What's your favourite thing about Rugby? And also, what age did you start playing?

The thing I love most about rugby is probably the battle on the field. The competitiveness, just trying to beat the opposition. I started playing rugby I was 13, when I started high school. But I started playing league when I was around 8.

Who were your Rugby heroes growing up?

Growing up, I watched a lot of league. It’s funny, because I looked up to Israel Folau as a league-ey, especially being from around Queensland.
I used to watch him every week and every year for State of Origin. When he transitioned to Rugby Union, I started to like Union a whole lot more.

And also, a question I like to ask is: what is something about yourself that not many people know?

I’m into computer games a lot. That’s something I enjoy doing, off the field.

Thanks Jordan for your time. Best of luck against the Sunwolves tomorrow night! I’ll be there cheering you on.

Cheers Tommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment