Saturday 1 August 2020

Loving Every Minute: An Awesome Conversation with Reds Lock Tuaina "T" Tualima

This week, I was lucky to catch up with rising Reds star Tuaina Tualima, or “T” as he’s affectionately known to the Reds boys. Since making waves in the pre-season games earlier this year (including the Dalby block-buster I watched live) he finally made his regular season debut against the Waratahs during their game one win at Suncorp. So far, he’s unbeaten with the Reds!


He was nice enough to take time to catch up and answer some of my questions. He also shared some great advice for future players. 


Of course: don’t miss the Reds top-of-the-table derby against the Brumbies, live at 7:15pm this Saturday! Let’s go Reds!!!



Hey T, thanks for taking the time to catch up. How old were you when you first started playing rugby - and what inspired you to play?


I only started rugby when I was twelve. When I was younger, I played rugby league (starting when I was five). Then my Dad said “why not try rugby?” - because he’s a big fan of rugby, coming from Samoa. So I thought “why not”. There was a big difference to rugby league, with all the rucks and malls and everything. I played one year at Sunnybank and I thought it was too hard, so the net year I went back to rugby league! Then I thought if Brisbane State High were interested, I thought why not go and play rugby. So I went back to Sunnybank andhad anothercrack. I learnt the rules and how to play the game and I loved it ever since. What’s inspired me is my culture - Samoans we love rugby.


Who was it that first gave you the nickname ‘T’ - and who on the team do you think has the oddest nickname?


So at my first year at Jeeps last year, the boys couldn’t pronounce my name, so all the boys just started calling me “T”. It’s picked up at the Reds so all the boys there call me T as well. Even at home my family started calling me T - that was pretty weird (laughs). I love the boys calling me T. It’s easy.

I’m not too sure who has the weirdest nickname… probably Hammer. [Hamish Stewart.]

I love that guy! So… the Reds are playing the Brumbies this Saturday! How much are you and team looking forward to this game?


It’s gonna be a big game! The boys played them in round one of the normal Super season, it was a close game, but the boys went down. It’s been a long break since we last played them and the boys are really lookingforward to it. Also, it’s a top of the table clash - so we’re excited.


How good was it finally making your debut, during the game one win against the Waratahs?


Yeah that was an awesome experience and I loved every minute of it. I wasn’t expecting to get as much time as I did, with Blythey going down at the start and with Thorny giving me the opportunity and chucking me on early. It was awesome to get the win. Especially against the Waratahs, I always hated playing against the Waratahs growing up, playing schoolboys (laughs). But yeah, it was an awesome experience, I loved it.

T wins a line-out against the Rebels during pre-season game #1 (Photo: Brendan Hertel/QRU)

Did having a break from playing (during the lockdown) make it even more satisfying when you finally made your debut?


Yeah! It was such a long break and coming back in, I didn’t think I was fit enough. But the six weeks of preseason helped me get my fitness back up. Then round one getting selected to play - it was so good.


That game was your first “official” run-on with the Reds, but you also played in both pre-season games, against the Rebels in Gladstone and the Waratahs in Dalby.


I loved being there for the Dalby game live. How much did you enjoy playing in those two games?


Yeah the Dalby game was a big one. It was a big turnout, there was a big crowd. And especially against the Tahs, that was my first actual proper game. There were a lot of stars in the team at that time, Kurtley Beale was playing, Simmons, and I was really excited. I couldn’t believe I was playing against some of those players. Just the atmosphere and the crowd was unbelievable. I loved every minute of the game and starting was pretty cool as well. Every time I put on the Reds jersey, it’s just awesome - I love every minute.


When you aren’t playing for the Brisbane City or the Reds who is your club?


There’s not much to say, I just love the club. I’ll be there until I retire. Yeah, just good people, the old boys always come down and support our games. Heaps of the young boys stay back as well, in the “glue factory”, that’s where the boys get rowdy and help us get the win (laughs)!


If it goes ahead, this year will be your fourth season playing for Brisbane City in the NRC. How important has the NRC been to your development as a player?


Oh it’s been massive. It’s helped me a lot with my game and just getting that experience at that level, before you get to Super Rugby. I think it’s a good program and they should keep it going for the next few years.


What would you say to young players, both boys and girls, that someday want to do what you’re doing and play for the Reds?


The first thing I’d say, because I’m really close with my parents, if you want to make it, make sure you listen to your parents, do what they say, and do the right things under the roof, off the field, before you go on the field. Off field, listen to your

parents and work hard. Working hard will get you very far. If you have talent, or even not much talent.

It’s like one of the boys DZ, Dane Zander, he’s worked hard, didn’t come through playing firsts, but he just worked his but off. Now he’s playing top level rugby, which is awesome for him.


So yeah, just work hard, listen to your parents.


Thanks T for the interview! Can’t wait to watch the boys smash ‘em on Saturday!


That’s alright! Thank you very much for having me on. Hopefully I’ll see you around soon and we’ll have a chat in person.


The Reds play the Brumbies in Canberra this Saturday, kicking off at 7:15pm!! I’ll be watching on Foxtell, you can catch it on Kayo as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment