Friday 17 February 2017

An Interview with Michael Gunn and Adam Korczyk



Today, right after training, I was fortunate enough to get to get to sit down with Michael Gunn and Adam Korczyk from the Queensland Reds. Both young, both talented players with big futures ahead, and both lovely guys to talk.

Hi guys, thank you for doing this interview.

Adam Korczyk: Thanks for having us.

You both left school in 2012, did you ever play against each other?
Adam Korczyk: Yeah, we both played club rugby when we were young, I played at Taylor Bridge, junior rugby club, Gunny played at the East Tigers junior rugby club, so we’ve probably been playing each other since 2008, and then, playing first 15, I went to Brisbane State High School and then Gunny went to Churchy [Anglican Church Grammar School]. I played Gunny during my school days.

Michael Gunn: I remember there was one big game, Churchy versus State High in 2011, that was probably my favourite game against kiwi [Adam].

Adam Korczyk: Yeah we lost that game. (Both laugh)

Where were you guys from originally?

AK: I was born in New Zealand, and I lived there - in Auckland - for twelve years. And then I moved over to Brisbane in 2007. So I did my one year of grade seven, then high school over here.



MG: I was born in Brissy, and moved around a little bit, and then came back, my old man was working for mining companies, and ended up coming back here in 2003, and we’ve been here ever since.

What are your Premier teams?

AK: I play for the University of Queensland.

MG: And I play for the East Tigers.

AK: But I’m not sure if I’ve ever versed Gunny… I think I’ve versed Gunny once in Premier grade.

Gunny: Yeah I can’t remember.

AK: Gunny was playing premier grade before me, cos he was a bit of a school prodigy.

Is it hard to be some of the younger members of the team?

AK: Yeah I guess we’re less experienced at professional rugby, but I guess me and Gunny have been here 3-4 years, in the Reds training base. It’s not that new to us anymore. Sometimes, I know, the older guys give you a bit of stick and stuff, but I think we’ve sort of earned our place.

Gunny: Yeah I agree, yeah you definitely know that you’re younger, you’ve just kind of got to fit in and know your place.

What’s the biggest highlight of your careers so far?

AK: For me, probably… I’d say the first time I put on the red jersey was pretty good for me, but I’d say the second time I put it on… The first time I played just 10 minutes, over in South Africa, and then the second time, I thought I’d maybe get on 10 minutes at the end of the game, but there was an injury to our flanker at the time, in the third minute, so I ended up playing the whole game, somehow survived, we won against the Cheetahs, over in Bloemfontein, and then scored a try in the second half as well, so that was probably the biggest highlight so far for me. 

Gunny: It would probably be my debut for the Reds against the Lions in early 2015, and the other one would be beating New Zealand at school boys in 2012. And then another one would be winning the Prem-grade final in 2015, winning the Hospital Cup, that was pretty exciting.

Can you tell us something that most people might not know about you?

AK: I’ll say… obviously people see my last name and think that’s not Australian. My family are originally from Poland, so that’s where my last name comes from. Although, I was born in New Zealand, so since I came over, I got the nick-name kiwi, and that sort of stuck through my school years, and even now with the Reds. So, it’s a bit of a multi-cultural/multi-country identity going on here…

Gunny: Two things, people might not know about me, I study engineering at UA, it’s something on the side, hopefully I can go into something with that when I finish my [rugby] career. Something else… I’ve got two 11 year old twin sisters, and they’re identical, genetically identical anyway. They’re probably two of my best friends.

What is some advice you would give aspiring players, both boys and girls?

Kiwi: I’d say, from my experience, when your younger, enjoy your rugby. Some people try and become too serious too early. When your young, you gotta just have fun. And obviously, when you get older and if you want to take it seriously, that’s when you start preparing. Obviously, boys have had it for a long time now, with Sevens now and the Aussie womens team winning the Olympic gold medal, I think that’s a big path-way for girls. Rugby’s not so “boy centric” now. They’ve been trying to bring women into the game, but with the Sevens, and the success there, I think that’s a good opportunity for girls to just take up rugby, and get involved.

Gunny: My two points would be work hard and take the opportunities. When you get an opportunity, make sure you take it with both hands because you don’t know if it’s gonna come again.


Thanks Adam and Michael for giving us your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment