Thursday 23 February 2017

Womens Rugby Rules / Rugby Rules Part #1

It is true that my cousin Grace Hamilton plays rugby in New South Wales. It was exciting watching her play for the Womens Warratah's at the Global Tens competition in Brisbane the other week. So I'm making a very special exception and interviewing her and her friend Emily Chancellor for this weeks interview. They're both lovely people, and great ambassadors for the game. A big thank you to them for their time.



The focus on female rugby has really only just picked up. What was it that brought you to the game?

Grace Hamilton: I actually started playing rugby in America because they didn’t have any netball. It was a good way to make American friends and growing up around it, it made sense. 

Emily Chancellor: I always watched it and really liked it so I thought - why not have a crack!

What are your favourite teams to watch?

Grace: My favourite teams to watch are the Waratah’s and the Wallabies and the Aussie Sevens girls.

Emily: The team I support is the Waratahs but I do have a soft spot for the Brumbies as well. I play for Sydney University.

Grace, we know that you play back row, and Emily, you play flanker. What do these positions involve?

Grace: I play back row now but I started in the centers in America and the ACT. It’s a fun position. You are involved in a lot of contests and are one of the main support players on the field. But I would play anywhere.

Emily: I play as a loose forward (same as Gracie) so we have to do a lot of running and be there to carry the ball and protect the ball when a team mate runs the ball.

How was it playing in Suncorp Stadium during the Global 10s and having your team being truly recognised?

Grace: Playing at Suncorp stadium was not only good for us players but I think it was a really good step for women’s rugby. There were a lot of players that should of and would have loved to be there and for us to be given that opportunity was really special. We were treated the same as the men’s teams and although we were all star-struck for the majority of the time it was great!

Emily: Playing at Suncorp was one of the most exciting experiences of my rugby career so far! It was amazing to play in front of such a big and loud crowd.

What is the biggest highlight of your career so far?

Grace: My biggest highlight so far would be being given the opportunity to represent Australia before the Bledisloe in New Zealand last year.

Another highlight would have to be touring with our Sydney team. We have such a tight knit group of girls and we always bring out the best in each other.

Emily: Playing at Suncorp and winning the club championships last year.

Can you tell us something about yourself that no one may know?

Grace: Something that no one would know.. I have no idea. I’m pretty much and open book. Ahh…  I like painting and sewing? Haha

Emily: I own two surfboards and used to surf all the time as a kid.

What is some advice for an aspiring player, both girls and boys?

Grace: I think the best advice I could give to any girls or boys wanting to play rugby, or any sport, is get involved and don’t be afraid of failure. The friendships you will make are lifelong, so at any level, just enjoy it!

If people tell you you can’t do it, keep the fire in your belly and believe in yourself. Do the best you can.


Emily: Never let anyone tell you that you can’t do something because of your size - and hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Awesome. That's great advice! Thanks again for your time.


***


With the start of the Super Rugby kick-off happening this week, I'll be kicking off our Rugby Rules series! That's right, it is a play on words. I'll aim talk about one rule each week during the season, as well as do the interviews.


Rule for the week:



A team kicks off with a drop kick which is taken from the half way mark (or behind it).

If the kick is not done right, the other team gets to either: a) have the ball kicked again, or feed a scrum from half way.

The drop kick has to go for 10 meters. If it doesn't go 10 meters, the other team can either play on, or opt to restart as above.

To find out more about the rules of the game, check out www.laws.worldrugby.org

Source: kick-off rules)

For those uninitiated, that will help you understand the game a little bit more when you watch the Reds play the Sharks tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment