Friday 29 March 2019

Sitting Down with Cecilia Smith

This week I had a wonderful chat with a player who’s made a huge impact for Queensland this year. In the lead up to the 2019 season, Cecilia Smith moved from Leeton, New South Wales, to Brisbane, with hopes of making the team. She instantly made a splash, scoring two tries against the Rebels in their first game.

She’s gone on to score tries in three out of four of Queensland's games this season, including another double against the Brumbies! (See the match highlights here.)

I spoke to her about her rugby journey and even her experience in the Commonwealth Games playing for Samoa! While she’s fierce on the field, she’s lovely to talk to in person. I hope you enjoy reading our chat!

Hi Cecilia, how are you and the team going this week?

Yeah really good.

How have you enjoyed the season with Queensland so far?

It’s been really fun. It’s been a big change since coming from the Brumbies. I played for them last year, but I didn’t get a chance to play in the Super W, because I was injured. Moving up here last year, it was a challenge for me to try to get into the Reds team, because you know there’s a lot of really good players here. I had to try to work really hard to get in here, so here I am.

What’s the teams mindset in the lead up to the playoff this weekend?

I guess we’ve been working on the mistakes that we made in the last game we played against them and making everything “sharp”.

I love hearing about people’s rugby journeys. What brought you from Samoa to Australia and then what led you to play rugby in Queensland?

I moved from New Zealand, in 2009. I lived in New South Wales for 9 years until I moved up here. I was in a little country town called Leeton. I played Sevens down there. Then I decided to try out fifteens. I didn’t know the rules and that, I just decided to try out for the Brumbies in 2017, leading up to the Nationals, that was my first time playing fifteens. And then got ready for 2018, Super W… then I got injured playing League, playing in the Commonwealth Champions. I injured my shoulder in a tournament for final selection, we didn’t know what was wrong with it. I was travelling 4 hours per week to train with the Brumbies. It was hard, because either I’d have to take my daughter with me, or I’d have to leave her with my Dad or my sisters. It was pretty intense. It was tiring driving that much, so I talked to my dad and decided to move up to Brisbane to try and crack the Reds team. And here I am!

What’s your favourite thing about Queensland and being based at Ballymore?

I love the environment with the girls. It’s so enjoyable being around them. When it’s game time, that’s when it’s serious. But I like having a laugh with the girls - it’s a really good vibe around here.

You’ve had the opportunity to play Rugby League for your home country of Samoa. Can you tell us about that experience?

That was an emotional one, especially for my family. My dad’s always wanted me to pull the Samoa jersey on. When I got the chance, I figured I’d travel to Sydney for the trials. It was a 6 hour drive out there and I guess, I did enough to make it. There were girls there from Melbourne, from New Zealand, some from Brisbane as well. Yeah, it was intense!

I was injured in the tournament before the Commonwealth Games… the last try-out. It was a nerve thing. It wasn’t a serious injury, I just needed time. It didn’t hurt, but I couldn’t control my arm. I tried to play in the grand final for that tournament, but I couldn’t. Then, it healed and the Commonwealth games happened later on.

It’s crazy. I don’t even know where to start to be honest with my rugby journey. (Laughs)

What’s your favourite thing to do outside of rugby?

Spend time with my family, because I have a three year old daughter now. With my partner as well, I just love going places, like the movies. And playing something fun - like touch… But family time is everything. You’ve got to make the most of it.

What would your message be to rugby fans in Queensland, ahead of the playoff match this weekend?

To come on down and support the girls. Womens rugby is growing and it’s just getting better. It’s going to be a really good game, the Brumbies are a good side as well, we don’t take them lightly. We need the crowd to pump us up!

Thanks very much for your time!

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment