Saturday 30 March 2019

Rugby and Dad's Amazing Advice: A Conversation with Alana Elisaia


Alana Elisaia

Fresh off her experience playing in last weeks “classic Wallaroos” match, I had a good time chatting to Alana Elisaia during training this week. Of course, she didn’t play in the match because she’s an “old wallaroos” per-say, but was one of several “up-and-comers” selected to play alongside the greats.

She’s definitely proven that status as her own, during Queensland’s Super W season. She’s scored three tries against the Rebels in round one and has scored several more since then.

As Women’s rugby takes off, Alana is definitely a player to keep your eye on!

Hi Alana, how are you?

Good thank you!

First up, can you tell us about about the exciting classic Wallaroos match you took part in last weekend?

Yeah, that was pretty amazing for me. Because I got to play with all the ex-Wallaroo’s ladies. My hero in rugby, being Cheyenne Cambell, they didn’t really know her, because she was after their generation. But for me, she’s one of the “old” players! I was pretty blown away. They were telling me stories about when they were wearing this [points to her jersey] and when they had nothing. It was really eye-opening, and made me more grateful. It was good to get knowledge out of them. 

I’m glad you had a good time down there. I guess it worked out well that Queensland had a bye last week. Back to Super W... What have your personal highlights been, playing for Queensland this year?

My own highlights… I think just getting more game time and just being around a really good bunch of girls. This year it’s been really good with the culture… I don’t have any personal highlights! Just being involved!

Congrats to you and the team on making the finals.

Thank you. 

How much are you looking forward to the play-off match against the Brumbies this Sunday?

I’m actually really excited. I was really backing them against WA, just because they have so much heart and go right to the end.

That’s a good segue way… What do you think the Brumbies strengths are, that you’ll need to keep an eye on?

I must have read your mind! (Laughs) They’re definitely a strong side. A lot of heart. Yeah.

What inspired you to play the game of rugby?

My friend actually just asked me to come down and have a run and I sort of just fell in love with it. Out of all the other sports, everyone is just really welcoming. It’s hard to find a challenge in sport, so I really love that about it.

I came from a Touch and League background, but there’s nothing like this. These girls are some of my best friends, that’s what I love most about it.

Last week Cobie-Jane said it’s important not to get too “comfortable” in rugby. What advice do you have for young boys and girls wanting to play the game?

I think, the best advice my Dad actually gave me was just to play fun. You play your best rugby when you having fun. That took a long time for me to understand, because being so competitive, I forgot to actually have fun. And when I finally relaxed and had some fun, I was playing the best rugby I’ve played.

I started in 2016 and I was just finding my feet. I got too wrapped up in making teams and stuff and I was always really hard on myself. You know how you’re always your own worst critic. It got to me too much and my Dad just said to me one day, “just relax and have fun. You always play your best footy when you have fun”. That’s always stuck! Your can’t take it too serious, enjoy it while it’s there.

“Down-time” is important... what do you like to do outside of rugby?

I get asked this a lot, and I’d say I “nap” a lot. I put that in my player profile! (Laughs) It’s the only hobby I have. I like going on hikes and stuff! But rugby makes you tired… (laughs)

Thanks Alana for taking time to catch up! I’ll be cheering you on, on Sunday!

Thanks for having me! It’s been a pleasure.

Don’t miss Queensland’s game this Sunday, against the Brumbies at Ballymore stadium, kick off is at 3pm. The winner will get a chance to play New South Wales in the Super W final, the following week.

No comments:

Post a Comment