Thursday 25 March 2021

Still on the Rise: A Conversation with Reds and Wallabies Centre Jordan Petaia

It’s an exciting time to be a Queensland Reds fan! Even though the team is on a four-game winning streak, as I found out this week the team has been training hard and is wanting to improve on it’s performances so far. “Never get comfortable” seems to be the mantra that Brad Thorne’s Reds are living by. That definitely seems to be true for my latest interviewee for Reds Rugby Rules!

It was great to catch up with Jordan Pataia after training earlier this week. We spoke about a number of things, including where he feels his team is at, as well as some of his interests outside of rugby.


Since making his debut for Queensland at the age of 18, three years later, Jordan is still a player on the rise. With the talent and work ethic that he has, I think some of his best playing days yet are coming up! (Also, check out my 2018 interview with him here.)

I always love catching up with Jordan and I’m sure you will enjoy reading our chat!


Hey Jordan, awesome to see you again. Do you think the season could have started any better for the team? 


Um it’s probably the start we wanted. Pretty great start, 4 and 0. Pretty great effort, but the boys are still wanting more and I think we’re looking to improve on those results. They were still good outcomes but we’re holding ourselves to higher standards, which is great, if we’re looking to go for that chip. So it’s important we stick to that… but obviously 4 and 0, that’s exactly what we want.


Things seem to be coming together really well for the Reds. Are you excited about the Waratahs match coming up this weekend?


Yeah! I’m very excited. I’ve had a good run so far, so if I can keep that going it’d be good. The boys are pretty excited! I haven’t played in Sydney for a while, so it’ll be good to get down there and to look to continue our streak.


They put up a good fight in round one the season. How much of a difference do you think it will make for them, to be playing at home [in Sydney]? 


Yeah, I think it will make a massive difference. Last year - they came up here and lost and then we went down there and the boys got hammered. We never go into any of these games lightly. I think they’ll definitely enjoy being at home. But yeah, if we stay switched on for our game, it should be a good match up.


You and Hunter seem to be making quite the team this year. What’s it like playing alongside him?


Yeah it’s really fun. We get along quite well off the field, so it makes it good. We just get on the field and trust each other and have fun out there. We have a good relationship in the centre field that we’ve been building since last year… It’s been really enjoyable having that relationship with Hunter.


How are you finding having a shorter season and playing against less teams in Super Rugby AU?


Hmmm. Yeah it’s different. You don’t get to see the world as much, but nevertheless we’re still playing rugby during such a difficult time and that’s something to be thankful for. But at the same time, it’s good stay around home and around the family a lot more, now that we’re not on the road as much. But yeah, it’s still enjoyable and I still have the same goals, so it’s good.


How are you finding the rule changes this season?



The rule changes have been pretty fun. There hasn’t been too much change, but the drop-outs pretty entertaining when the boys run it back. It’s good to watch.


Are you looking forward to the second round for the year - Super Rugby “Trans-Tasman”?!


Yeah. Hopefully we can stay in order. I’m pretty keen. It’s always fun to go up against the New Zealand teams. Obviously they’re some of the best teams in the world, so it’s good to test your ability and skills… and travelling to New Zealand is pretty fun. There are some nice areas there. So I’m pretty excited.


I have a message for the NZ Super Rugby teams. My boys are coming for you! This question is on behalf of my Mum, who’s becoming a serious rugby fan: when you swan dive to score a try, does it hurt?


I think that’s a question for the Fijian boys! I haven’t done too many swan dives. But diving, if you land it well I guess it’s not too bad. On occasion, I guess you can wind yourself. But yeah, I don’t think it hurts too much.


You’ve played a number of games wearing green and gold since we last caught up officially. What’s your favourite memory playing with the Wallabies?


Probably, representing your country and family… just getting to the pinnacle of the sport. It’s quite an accomplishment, it’s good to really see where your at, and do your best for your country. International travel is pretty cool too. You get to see some cool places.


Are you still into computer games?


Oooh. I’ve died off in the last few months - been a bit busier. I’ve taken up a bit of golf actually! But I still it enjoy playing computer games. A bit of COD.


If you weren’t playing rugby, what would you be doing?


That’s a good question! Probably some sort of study. I’m not sure what it would have been. My mind was always pretty set on rugby. But probably work a few different jobs. Coffee… I’m into my coffee a bit actually. Maybe be a barrister and start up a cafe. That could still happen!


Thanks for taking time to catch up today Jordan. Safe travels and best of luck this weekend! You know I’ll be watching.


Awesome. Appreciate it Tommy! Hopefully we can get out there and do the job!




Jordan and the Queensland Reds line up against New South Wales this Saturday at 6:45pm!


No comments:

Post a Comment