Wednesday 23 June 2021

Linking up with Lucy Lockhart pt. 2

Super W is back!!!!

And to celebrate, I caught up with Reds Vice-Captain and Wallaroo Lucy Lockhart. I last caught up with Lucy back in 2018, during the first ever Super W season. We caught about all things rugby and also, what she got up to during her two years away in England.

This is an exciting month for Women's rugby in Australia. Round one was played last weekend at Easts Rugby club where the New South Wales squad took out the Reds after an excellent first half performance. The Reds outscored the Waratahs in the second half, but still went down 47-26. Overall, everyone I talked to agreed it an awesome game of rugby!

It was great to catch up with Kirby Sefo (former
Queensland captain) and my cousin Grace
If you're not following Super W, now is a great time to get on board. The rest of the competition will be held in Coffs Harbour over the next few weeks. (All games are live on Stan!) Our Reds play the Melbourne Rebels this Sunday at 1pm.

Make sure you tune in and enjoy my chat with Lucy in the mean time...

Hi Lucy, great to see you. Thank you for taking the time to come back and talk with me again.


Any time!


I know the Super W season has just started and you’ve had your first game for Queensland - but first of all, a huge congratulations on making the Wallaroos squad!!!


Thank you.


How did it feel getting the call up?


Oh, it was amazing. So I’ve just come back from the UK, I was playing in England for a couple of years and I came back because of Covid. Probably a couple of months into it, they gave me the call up, asking to to come and trial at one of the training sessions, because they watched me and my game overseas. They called me to train and said “yep - I love your work, we’d like you to join the Wallaroos squad.” I was absolutely over the moon, it’s been a goal of mine ever since I started.


Tough loss after last week - but I know you’ll bounce back. I think both teams played outstandingly. What were your thoughts on the game?


It took us a while to get into the game, in the first half New South Wales were very clinical. It got us off our feet a little bit, but in the second half we found that “Queensland mongrel” within us to go forward - we could not go down without a fight.


Lucy breaks through a tackle at Easts Rugby Club.
[Photo cred: Stephen Tremain]

Queensland mongrel, I like that. Congratulations on getting the role of Vice Captain! I know you’ll be a great leader for the team this year.

Thank you.


What did you get up to during your time in England?


I loved there for a couple of years to teach - I’m a high school teacher. I taught and played professional rugby for the Worcester Warriors. I was happy, I got to travel a bit with rugby and with the school. I got to take the kids to Zambia! That was pretty cool. As a teacher, it was hard work, but it was a good experience! I got malaria, but that’s another story (laughs.)


You’re a very multi talented individual! I know you’re a part of the Australian defence force. Also, I found out you represented Queensland in softball back in the day.


Yes I did (laughs.) I played softball, probably back in 2007 or 2008, when I was in high school. I was in the army for 8 years and stayed there until 2018 and that’s when I went to the UK. I was in the army when I last spoke to you.


Is rugby your number one passion?


Absolutely.


What are your personal goals, both inside and outside of sport?


Inside sport, I’d love to run out with the Wallaroos in a test match and get a cap or two, but I’d also like to coach a few teams and develop the pathways for young girls.


I coach at my school in Miami! We’ve got a pretty good team at Miami High.


All the best for the trip down to Coffs this weekend, and the rest of the tournament! If I’m not there, I’ll be watching on Stan!!!


Awesome. I can not wait. You’ll have to send me some feedback! (Laughs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment