Thursday 8 March 2018

Catching up with Lucy Lockhart


If you haven’t heard that the “Super W” competition starts this Saturday, you’ve probably been living under a rock. (By the way, Queensland have their first game at at 4pm at Suncorp Stadium. Hope you can make it)

In the lead up this week, I was lucky enough catch up with Lucy Lockhart, who will be in the starting line-up this Saturday, in the Queensland. It was great hearing her talk about the game she loves most. I was also glad to hear she's landed in her favourite position - Number 7 (that's "Open-Side Flanker" for anyone still learning about the game).

All the best this weekend Lucy! 

Hi Lucy,
Thanks for making time to catch up. This is an exciting week for you guys!

How's pre-season training gone for you?

Yeah it’s gone really good. I was a back but I don’t normally play half-back or fly-half anymore, I think I’ve gained a couple of kgs [laughs], so they’ve put me in the loose-forward pack now. I’m playing number seven in the game against the Waratahs. So it’s been a big change for recently, doing scrums.

How excited are you about the season starting on Saturday? (March 10th)

Very excited. It’s definitely a big step for women in sport. And to have rugby union up there with the big sports, like AFL and the NRL’s gonna join in. It’s good to get some recognition or the hard work us girls go through.

It's gonna be a great game, I'll be at Suncorp supporting.

What inspired you to start playing rugby?

I started playing rugby union when I was 7, with my brothers. Then, 7 until 11, and then I wasn’t allowed, because I’m a female (there was a rule that as soon as you hit 11 you had to stop playing with the boys). Then I started back when I was 19. Now I’ve been playing rugby union ever since - I’m 25 now. I love the game. Every person, no matter what size, no matter who you are, rugby’s for everyone.

Did you have any favourite players growing up?

When I was playing at 9, I really liked Will Genia, I was always watching how he plays. He’s still one of the best 9s, I think, around the tournament.
I kind of just watched everyone really.
I’ve been changing positions, throughout my career. I’ve been all throughout the back line, and now I’m in the forward back. So I love everyone, other than Will Genia, there’s no-one specific.

What’s your favourite position to play?

Open-side flanker - number 7.

What's your favourite thing about playing for the Queensland Women's XV?

Um [pauses]… there’s so many. I like the atmosphere, I love everyones love for the game, you can see it as we play. How we gell, our synergy on the field, how we connect. Everyone is just such a good player, it’s good to be surrounded by like-minded people. Especially chucking on that red jersey, it’s one of the highlights of my days.

What’s your favourite thing to do besides rugby?

I like playing golf on the weekends, I skateboard, I out to the to the beach, sometimes surf, I snowboard when it’s in season. I like hanging out with my family and friends. Being a beach-bum.

What's something you would say to young girls thinking of playing rugby?

Do it! The camaraderie, around the sport and the passion that you see… that you get to watch grow in the young minds of young women… there’s nothing like it. Nothing like netball, nothing like anything. Because once you're on the field, you’re all in, all for nothing. Then once you come off, you’re absolutely buggered, and you’re lifting everyone else on their feet. There’s no sport like this at all. So go for it!

That’s good advice. Thanks for taking time to chat today!

No dramas! I look forward to reading it on your blog!

You've got a lot of supporters in this State and we're right behind you! This Saturday, and the rest of the season.

Awesome. Thank you. See you on Saturday as well! Try and get a team photo!

No comments:

Post a Comment