Tuesday 5 April 2022

Catching up with Reds Star Ivania Wong

Earlier this week, I was able to catch up with Queensland Reds winger Ivania Wong. She and the team had just beaten the Melbourne Rebels decisively over the weekend (55-5) and are preparing for a big game this weekend against the Waratahs, in the lead up to the finals!


Last weekend was special in many ways. Queensland women players were also honoured and celebrated, and I was lucky to be at Suncorp Stadium to support. There were a few teary eyes in the place as many of the women that have played over the last 27 years were given their numbered cap. (This has been a tradition for the mens squad for many years.)


After the game and presentation, the players, past and present, took part in a "lap of honour" around the stadium.


In my opinion, all of this highlighted the superb quality of rugby that is being played in Queensland and across the whole Super W competition. If you aren't following, now is a great time to do just that!


While you prepare your Stan Sports subscription ahead of this weekends game, I hope you enjoy reading my interview with Ivania Wong!


(You can also catch up on my 2018 interview with her here.) A special thanks to Flick, as always, for arranging the interview.


Hey Ivania, thanks for taking time to chat. Congrats on an amazing performance over the weekend against the Rebels. Everyone smashed it on the field. The atmosphere was great up in the stands.


Thank you!

How are you and the Reds girls feeling after the game?


We’re really happy about winning over the weekend, especially because it was such a special occasion for Queensland womens rugby and getting our caps. So to have past players there, to share that moment with them and to get that win, for all of us really, that have put on that jersey, it was really special. It was a bit emotional as well, I’m not gonna lie (laughs). There were a few tears out there after the game, but it was a really proud moment for us and for women’s rugby.


What were some of your take-aways from the game?


I think the connection between the backs and forwards was really good. The support was always there once there was a break, the team was just working for each other. That’s what made it even more special, the fact that we fought for each other, until the time stopped.


Also, congrats on getting three tries! That must have been pretty special.


Thank you. Yeah, it was pretty special. I got pretty lucky, everyone else did the hard work and I was just in the right place at the right time. Yeah, I got lucky with three tries (laughs.)


How does it feel being one try away from equaling the Queensland record for tries scored?


(Stunned silence). I didn’t know that. I did not know that Tom! That’s pretty surprising!


You’re on 15 tries and the record is 16.


I didn’t know that Tom. I really have to try and beat that record and get over during this game (laughs).


It could happen! Bronwyn Laidlow is the current record holder, with 16.


Oh wow. She’s the one that gave me my cap, I was lucky enough to get my cap from her on Saturday!


That leads me to my next question… last weekend was “Women in Rugby” round. You and many Queensland women, past and present, were honoured after the game. What did you enjoy most about the event? And how does “Cap 187” feel?


It was a pretty special moment. I think for all of us in Queensland, the women that have put on that jersey before us, we wouldn’t be here doing this if it wasn’t for them. So to get to share that with everyone… it was pretty special. And obviously, having our families and everyone with us… ah you got me Tom. I’m not supposed to cry at training.


Yeah that was special to get to do that. And to have them all come on to the field afterwards and interact with them and thank them, really, for what they did for us. Dang it Tom, you made me cry. Don’t tell anyone, ok (laughs.)


When we last caught up, you said your goal was to make the Wallaroos! It looks like you’ve now cemented yourself into that squad. What are your new goals now - in and outside of rugby?


I think this year, my goal going into this Super W season was just to be consistent and play well and do my part for the team. Hopefully my names on that list again after Super W. Hopefully I’ll get to put on the green and gold jersey this year. But my jobs not done yet, I still have to wear the Queensland jersey for now.

What’s your favourite thing to do, when your not playing rugby?


When I’m not playing, I just like to chill. Just relax and get away from rugby and just refresh. I don’t really like to do anything, I just love to chill, relax, freshen up and then get back into it.


Thanks for another great interview. All the best this weekend, against the Waratahs!


I can’t wait! Thanks for having me.


The Queensland Reds kick off for the final round of Super W against the Waratahs this Saturday at 2:20pm!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment