Thursday 7 April 2022

Sitting Back with Spencer: A Conversation with Reds halfback Spencer Jean

On Tuesday, I caught up with Reds half-back Spencer Jean! It’s my second interview for the week (make sure you catch up on my conversation with Super W star Ivania Wong here as well).

Spencer made his way into the Reds ranks at the end of last year and had a strong debut in Sydney against our old foe the Waratahs.

We had an awesome chat - it’s good to know the future of the Reds is in good hands with players like Spencer coming through!


Hey Spencer, thanks for taking the time to catch up today.


No worries, it’s a pleasure!


Your debut game with the Waratahs was a very close and an exciting match! You played really well! How did you feel going into that game? 


Yeah, it was very exciting, and thank you! I wasn’t too nervous, because I was picked for the week before, so to get that experience and just to sit in it and get the whole vibe of how everything works was probably good for me. I guess I was kind of fortunate that when I did have to go on I didn’t have to much time to think about it really, I just went on and got straight into work. It was good, I was happy with it.


That helps answers my next question which was whether you were nervous or excited before the game… Also, how did you you deal with the mental aspect of that game? 


I was very excited - the whole trip I was very excited. I probably didn’t get nervous until after the warm up, when I was sitting on the bench. But when I saw Tate go down I got pretty nervous. Mentally, I’ve got good boys around me so I know that they’re going to do the job. I’ve just got to do my own job and I guess I take care of that side myself.


How would you describe your experience has been while training with the Reds boys? 


Incredible. Since coming in late last year - it’s such a tight group so I was a little bit nervous, coming into it, knowing that they’re a real close bunch, but they’ve welcomed me in with open arms. You’re training each day with your best mates, it’s such a close group and I guess it drives you to do a little bit better because you know they’re pushing you as well.



What’s been a highlight of this season so far?


Definitely getting my debut, 100%. You know, you do it against the Waratahs down there in those pretty tough conditions and to get good minutes as well, 45 minutes and a win. I was really stoked, I had my family there, I had my mates there, it was pretty special. So it was definitely a highlight.


Awesome! What are some of the challenges you’ve faced?


I’ve been very fortunate, I haven’t had to many bad injury’s so I guess that’s a bonus for me. Probably the challenge to begin with was the drive from the Gold Coast, I was doing that every day. As cliche as it sounds, it was tiring on the body. So moving up here was the first time out of home, that wasn’t too much of a challenge, obviously I had a lot of support. In terms of challenges I’ve been very lucky, as I said it’s a close group and I have a lot of mates around me that are constantly supporting me. I’ve been lucky in that aspect.


From your perspective, which game has been the toughest so far, this season?


From my perspective, the first one that comes to mind is the Fijian Drua game. Out of the games I’ve played in, that Drua game was a bit tough, obviously on the back end they scored 3 tries on us in 5 minutes which just shows how incredible they are, so that’s definitely tough. The other one would be the first time we played the Brumbies, there was some high pressure situations at the end there which made it a bit tougher. So those two are the ones that stick out for me.


Who were your rugby hero’s growing up?


My rugby heroes growing up…….great question. I always loved Will Genia - since watching him play for the Reds, he’s been a massive hero. As I got a bit older, I also idolised Aaron Smith obviously, being a halfback as well. I’ve always looked at his game, as one of the best in the world, so he would be up there as well.


You’ve been playing scrum half, has this always been your position of choice?


No, funnily enough. When I first started playing rugby, I was actually a hooker! I was a little bit chunkier when I was a kid. Once the boys all started getting a little bit bigger, I played flanker until I was about 16, then I only started playing scrum half when I was 16 - 17. I’m fairly new to the position, but I’ve had a few years now, so I’m starting to figure out.


Do you have a favourite post-training food?


Post training food… I mean.. GYG is pretty good! A love a burrito, a bit of Guzie is good. I’d have to say that is up there… a Guzie burrito would definitely be my favourite post training snack.


Thank you again Spencer for taking the time to chat today, enjoy your time off and all the best for the next game!


No worries, thanks for having me. I look forward to seeing you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment