Thursday 18 April 2024

A Conversation with Queensland's Josh Flook

Today, I had the opportunity to chat with Queensland Outside Center Josh Flook. At 22 years of age, Josh Flook has achieved a lot with the Reds in just a few years and was a key part of their Super Rugby AU championship win in 2021.

After battling his way back from a shoulder reconstruction at the end of last year, Josh no doubt has his best footy ahead of him. I hope you enjoy reading our chat!

Hey, Josh, thanks for taking time to chat with me this week.

Thanks Tommy. Thanks for having me!


After a massive season in 2023, what are some of your rugby goals for 2024? 


I think just to be consistent, play some consistent rugby, especially after having a solid year last year, that was pretty enjoyable. But there's a few new things around the grounds here in 2024. So I think just playing consistent footy and having fun.


You went through shoulder reconstruction towards the end of last year. How do you feel you developed personally during your rehab? And what did you learn during that time?


Yeah, I guess it taught me a bit about… um… that there's a life outside of footy as well. I was able to do a little bit more of my uni, which I wouldn't normally be able to do and it was good to able to spend some time with the family. It just gave me reassurance that, you know, you got to have that life balance between doing footy and everything else at the same time.


What what have been some of your favourite things about being a part of this Queensland Reds side? 


I think all of us being quite a young bunch when I first started, we've been able to really develop over the last five or so years. So it's been pretty cool to see, you know, 18 year olds, 19-20 year olds be able to debut and just how quickly they've been able to develop and play some really good quality footy at the highest standard.


What have been some of your career highlights so far in rugby? 


Uh, I think school wise, I was lucky enough to win a couple of premierships at Nudgee. Nudgee has been a very big part of my life, so far and it definitely shaped me into who I am today. And then, Reds wise, obviously the AU grand final win, that was pretty special, especially since I was still so young. So I'll never be able to forget that. 


That was pretty special for us in the stands too! Who in the team would you spotlight as someone that's been training well and playing hard? 


Hmmm, that's a good question. I think one of our captains, Liam Wright. He's had an unlucky run with injuries over the past couple of years, so it's good to see him being able to get some footy under his belt and I think he's playing really well. He'll put his hand up for some higher honours hopefully.


Agreed! I’ve enjoyed watching him play well this season. My next question is: What is your favourite post training meal? 


Oh… Not so much a meal, but I do like to go through a cheeky Macca's drive through and get a frozen Coke. Oh, especially after a hot day. So that's generally a go-to - a little $2 frozen Coke hits the spot nicely.


What's some good advice you've received either as a young player or as a professional footy player? 


Uh, I think that nerves aren't a bad thing. Being nervous just means that you want something badly. So to take them on board and not like, I guess, show that it's a weakness.


What are your thoughts on how we can beat the Highlanders this weekend?


I think we gotta focus on playing better and longer passages of play. You know, we've been able to show so far this year that we can pull it together for 15, 20 minutes. But against such quality teams, you have to do that for 80 minutes… 80 plus minutes. So I think that’ll be a big focus area for the boys this week.


Awesome. Can’t wait to be there in support! Thanks Josh for taking the time to chat today.


Thank you very much for having me!

No comments:

Post a Comment