Thursday 25 April 2024

Off-Set with Front-rower Sef Fa'agase!

This week I had the privilege of catching up once again with Reds front-rower Sef Fa'agase.

The first time I interviewed Sef for Reds Rugby Rules was back in 2017, which was the day that I was featured on Fox Sports "Kick and Chase"! You can read that interview here and check out my appearance on Kick and Chase here.


Rugby has taken Sef around the world and back since then. I loved catching up and hearing what he learnt while playing overseas. I hope you enjoy reading our conversation too!

Hi Sef, thanks for taking time to chat! Last time we caught up (officially), we had a few camera’s around. (A good memory!) Since then, a lot has happened! You were with the Reds from 2015-2018 and then you went overseas. What are some of your coolest memories from playing abroad?


I think the last time we met was 2016… 2017 for the last official one. Yeah, a lot has happened since then. I guess the coolest experiences were getting to live in another country and experience another lifestyle. I loved my time over in Japan, I grew a fondness for the Japanese people. It's hectic, the lifestyle over there. I guess it's an organised chaos.

Sef with Chris Hemsworth
[via his Instagram]


That was my experience of Japan, when I visited in 2018! That was on the way to watch the Reds play in Tokyo.


I remember! I think on the way over there, we had a cool experience when we actually saw Chris Hemsworth in the lounge on the way over to Japan. That was a cool experience.


In terms of footy, I really loved my time in New Zealand. Just the way they look and approach rugby as a whole is pretty awesome. And it's something that's stuck with me. I've tried to bring that back and try to implement myself as a rugby player.


The best experience coming out of being in New Zealand was meeting my partner and now we've been together for five years. We've got a little one. So all my Christmas’s I still have to spend in New Zealand (laughs.)

What was your experience like in the USA?


Yeah. It's still in its infancy, I guess, in terms of rugby, but I mean, getting to travel and play in those major cities is pretty awesome. Like going to LA… I’d never been to America before. That was quite an experience. 


I was playing in Boston. So I got to a few basketball games. I got to see Tom Brady play, that was his homecoming game against the Patriots when he was at the Bucks. So that was awesome, just a cool experience all around.


What did you miss most about home while you were away? 


Well, before I left, I took for granted that working and living in your home is such a blessing. The fact that you can go to work and then come home and still see your family, I think that's probably the biggest one for me. I couldn’t just jump in the car and drive to my parents or my dad's house or see my brothers. That was probably the the toughest thing that I missed the most. 


You landed back in Brisbane towards the end of the 2022 season. I was really glad to see you back with the Reds. What are some things that you noticed had changed around here?


I guess for starters, I was coming in as an older person, an older player. So I had to try and set a good example, which was really unique to me.


At the same time, the work ethic that the players had developed while I was away was unbelievable to see, just how different it was. Yeah, that's probably the biggest thing.

I have to congratulate you on 50 caps by the way! You played your 50th game up in Townsville last year.


Yeah, it was a pretty proud moment for me Tom. I'd left in 2018, kind of stuck on, I think, 46 caps or something and it was something I always wanted to, I always wanted to play 50 games for Queensland. I wasn't too sure if I’d get there, so it was a big moment for me - minus the result. Like we went up to Townsville and got hammered. But I think just being able to represent Queensland first and foremost 50 times and being able to represent my family and my friends was huge for me. 


I'm sure you're loving the new facility around here that was completed at the end of last year?


Yeah, well, you remember the last time we were here? I think we were down there, and it was a very different place. I don't think a lot of the the boys here remember the old place and know how good we have it here. So I'm really appreciative. I remember my time in New Zealand. Uh, we didn't have sheds and we didn't have a changing room, so we were getting changed in the meeting room. So it's pretty awesome to have your own locker, which is something we take for granted.


What's your favourite thing about playing at Suncorp?


I guess it goes back to my point about me missing home and my family and friends and getting to play in front of my friends, family and familiar faces is probably my favourite memory. It's the cauldron, right?!


Yeah, I'm the same as you. My seat hasn't changed since before I first met you guys.


Yeah, that's awesome.


What are your personal goals now either inside or outside of rugby?


In terms of rugby, I guess it's just trying to perform, I’m not trying to be perfect, but just always trying to give my best and give everything. 


As long as I'm putting my hand up and then, I guess outside of footy it would be creating a happy home for my family. Probably my biggest “work on” every day is making sure I'm not taking rugby home and just being a dad.


What's your favourite post-game meal these days?

Oh. This is a naughty one, I've been going straight to McDonald's after games. I can tell you my order. 


Okay… It's a large double Filet-O-Fish meal with an orange Fanta and then a double McChicken. And then if I'm feeling extra naughty, ten nuggets as well. Depends on how many minutes I play Tom. (Laughs.)


How are we going to beat the Blues this weekend?


I think we got to try and match them in the forwards. That’s what we've spoken about this week, so just trying to contain them and I guess winning our first three phases is going to be massive. That’ll go a long way to getting a victory.


And then of course, our fans bringing us home. You don't really hear much on the field, but when you hear hearing the “We are Reds” call, you can really hear that. Okay, Tom - so you start that this weekend, you get that going this weekend, then we'll get a result.


Well, thanks for taking time for interview number 2. Glad it's a bit more low key this time. All the best this weekend. I'll definitely be there cheering everyone on!


Thank you for taking your time out today and coming to see me also. I really appreciate it. It’s always good to see a familiar face and an old friend.



The Reds take on the Blues at Suncorp Stadium this Saturday (27th April), kick off is at 7:35pm! I will see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment