Thursday 23 April 2020

A Conversation with the Legendary Will Genia

Will Genia is an absolute Reds and Wallabies legend. He was a key part of the 2011 championship Reds season I’ve been focusing on lately and went on to play a massive 110 tests wearing the gold jersey for Australia, most of them, starting at number 9. He felt it was the right time to retire from international footy after last years World Cup (even after playing exceptionally well), but no doubt, the half-back still has much more rugby left in him!

This year, he has been playing in Japan for the Kintetsu Liners, (alongside his old teammate Quade Cooper!) I asked him about his season in Japan, before talking about his glory days with the Reds. With so much up in the air for Rugby (and all sports) in Australia… there’s nothing like reminiscing about great memories we all have.

I hope you enjoy reading our chat!

With Will at Ballymore Stadium (along with Samu and Tongan Thor), during Wallabies
training (ahead of their win against Ireland in June, 2018)

Hey Will, great to chat with you again. I’m glad to hear you and your family are all safe and well! I know it has been a while since we last spoke, but it’s always good to talk with you. Thanks for doing this interview via email!

To start with, how is being back in Brisbane?

I love being back in Brissy. It’s home for me and my family, so to be back here where both of our families reside is also special. Life as a rugby family means a lot of travel and living overseas, so anytime with family is always amazing. 

How was your season going in Japan before you had to come back? And also how good was it having Quade playing alongside you?


We had a great season at Kintetsu. We managed to win the competition and beat all teams by a minimum of 50 points. It was incredibly enjoyable and made so much better by how great the people in Japan are. Having Quade there with me, honestly made the transition so easy. He’s a great mate and we’ve played so much rugby together, that it’s all been so seamless. 

You started playing for the Reds in 2007, almost right out of school! Being part of the team for so long, you must have some great memories, care to share a few?

My first game for the Reds was in 2006. I love the Reds. I genuinely identify myself with being a proud Queenslander and there’s been some great memories made over the years. I’d say two stick out the most.

Firstly the entire 2010 season. It was possibly my most enjoyable season of rugby. We were written off and rubbished and to come and play an exciting brand of rugby and  re-establish and reinvigorate rugby in Queensland was so much fun to be apart of.

Secondly, obviously winning the title in 2011! It was a culmination of so much work and sacrifice and it was a great group of guys to do it with.

Who were some of your influences while playing for the Reds? Also, was there anyone that made you change the way you went about the game?

The biggest influence on my game would have to be Chris Lane. He was my 1st XV coach as well as my club coach for a year. He taught me the art of passing, but more than that, he just believed in me and was there to catch passes and kicks and talk rugby relentlessly. I’m so grateful for him. 

What’s your funniest memory from your time at Ballymore?

The funniest memory would be playing ping pong with Rod Davies, Ben Tapuai and Aiden Toua, until 3 in the morning, right before we played the Lions in Johannesburg in 2011. It was an intense game. So yeah, playing ping pong and drinking milk and milo until 3am. It was great fun and we had a good win the next day too.

What do you feel is the greatest achievement of your career so far?

I would say my greatest achievement in my career would be playing 100 tests for Australia. It was my dream to play and to have played 110 and started in over 90 of them means so much to me!

A huge thanks to Will for taking time to answer my questions, while in lockdown. Of course:

“Once a Red, always a Red!”

No comments:

Post a Comment