Thursday 30 April 2020

Catching Up with Curtis Browning

Reds Rugby Rules never stops.... because there's no shortage of memories and stories to share from the rugby community!

Lately, I caught up with former-Red Curtis Browning, who for the last few years has been playing for the French club Colomiers. He is currently in lockdown with two kids, so we had a good chat via email :-).

I've known Curtis since he was in primary school, so it made perfect sense to try to reach out during the lockdown and hear how he's going. He shared some of his experiences, including, mainly of course, memories from his time with the Queensland Reds (2013-2016).

Curtis had always been good to talk to, down to earth
and always making time for fans 
I'm 100% sure you'll enjoy reading my interview below!

How’s life in France been for the last few years? (Before the virus came along.)

I've loved my time in France. The footy is a very different style of play to back home. It’s a lot slower and as a result it’s more physical across the 80 minutes. The lifestyle has been great. The French definitely have their way of doing things and living, it's been a very enjoyable experience. To add to that, we've been able to explore a lot of France and get some travel in, which has been unreal.

France will forever be a special place for my wife Courtney and I, not just because we've lived here for 4 years, but because of our 2 daughters, Penelope and Theodora were both born here. One of the most enjoyable parts of the experience has been seeing our eldest Penelope start to speak the language by attending the local school.

How have you and the family been since the lockdown in France?

It's been a big change, that's for sure. We're lucky that we live in a townhouse with a small garden and not in an apartment like most people here, it's allowed us to get outside and enjoy the sunshine most days which we've been very grateful for, with the 2 girls running around! 

The restrictions are much stricter here than back in Australia, there are large on the spot fines for people who don't have what is essentially a permission slip to show authorities while you are out and about doing only what is considered essential (groceries and medical appointments). We are also allowed to leave our homes for 1 hour of exercise per day but must stay within a 1km radius of our home or risk getting fined. So we have been doing a few laps of our suburb every day to get out of the house with the kids.

Having these restrictions since March 17th, you without a doubt appreciate all the little freedoms we all so often enjoy and we're very grateful we've managed to stay healthy and that we aren't facing the difficulties that so many other families around the world are.

Let’s talk about Queensland rugby! You are one of the great exports to come out of this State. What are some of the things you learnt, here in Queensland, that still keep you going today?

Haha I'm not sure if I'm one of the great exports, but playing for Queensland was without a doubt my most satisfying and fulfilling rugby experience. I played Rugby League up until high school, so I learned most of my rugby from 2 great coaches at Brisbane State High, David Eagle and Graham Noon. Without the two of them who knows where I would've ended up, they taught me the game.

More of a life lesson than just a rugby one, but when I got into the Reds system, I got to learn what it took and looked like to be great at a craft. Seeing the hours of training and video that guys like Rob Simmons, James Horwill, Quade Cooper, Will Genia, Ben Daley, Digby Ioane and Beau Robinson put in opened my eyes to what type of commitment is needed to succeed in whatever it is you are trying to improve. These guys are some of the hardest workers I've been around for sure. There was a lot more structure when I was at the Reds compared to my time in France, so being committed to doing a gym program that suits you or getting an individual review/ preview in each week is something that has been much more self-driven for players in France from my experience. So seeing what those guys did on top, of the team organized sessions has helped my footy here along with other aspects of life.

What was it that first inspired you to play rugby?

Well, I grew up playing league because that's what my dad and a few of my good friends when I was young played. I had the same reason for starting rugby union. At State High, rugby was offered and league wasn't, so I wanted to play with my mates.

Curtis makes a run during the 2013 season
What is your favourite rugby memory so far?

There's plenty of great memories so far. But my favourite rugby memory would have to be debuting for the Reds. I only got a couple of minutes off the bench, but we won the game. It was at home and I got to do it in front of family, so that was special.

What’s your favourite memory, of training at Ballymore?

Plenty of funny things happen in the changing rooms, but the best part about training at Ballymore was without a doubt the downtime between the morning and afternoon sessions. Getting to go grab lunch with your mates each day, playing cricket in the change rooms, playing pranks on each other, they were the best memories of training at Ballymore.

You were a part of the Australian Schoolboys team for three years, as well as a captain of the Australian U-20s side. Can you describe the feeling of putting on the Australian Jersey?

I never got to do it at a senior level but representing your country is obviously a very special thing, something I don't think anyone takes for granted at any level. It's a very hard thing to put into words, as athletes there are a lot of sacrifices made to perform at a high level, often from a young age, so to have those sacrifices pay off at each level of representation is rewarding and extremely humbling, knowing how many people would love to be were you and your teammates are. I can't imagine how proud our Wallabies feel every time they play.

Your grandfather, Dick Marks was a Wallabies centre. What’s the best rugby story you heard about him growing up?

Anyone who knows Pop knows he's a great storyteller and a very funny man! I actually just finished reading the book "A Dangerous Breed" which he helped write. It talks about the famous Wallabies team of 1963 that toured South Africa and beat them there twice. I think they are the only Australian team to have won at Ellis Park in over 85 years of trying. Worth the read!

Thanks heaps for taking time out. Especially during lockdown with two kids at home!

Thanks mate, anytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment