Thursday 18 January 2018

A Conversation with JP Smith

First of all, thanks for taking the time to read another Reds Rugby Rules post!

For sure excitement is building as we get closer to the start of the Reds 2018 season. I’ve enjoyed the fan days down at Ballymore recently. It’s been great to see other fans, young and old come down and watch the team train and meet the players!

This week was special because I got to catch up with JP Smith, one of the new players in the Reds squad. Smith's journey has taken him from South Africa (where he was born) to Australia, where he feels at home. JP is truely good company, and great for a laugh, just as he is a great rugby player on the field. Fresh from playing time in Japan, he shared with me his excitement about joining the Reds this year.

G'day JP, thanks for your time.

Sounds good mate. Thanks for having me, really appreciate it.

First of all, welcome to the Reds for 2018! I'm glad you jumped on board.

Thanks very much mate. It’s been really good here, settling and meeting everyone new. I’m familiar with Brisbane from my earlier age. It’s awesome to be here.

Does it feel like you've come "full circle" to end up here?

Yeah mate. It’s been really good. The boys have really taken me in and I’ve felt welcome since the first day I came here. It’s been exceptionally welcoming.

You were born in South Africa, did your schooling there and some in Australia. You've played Super Rugby in South Africa and Australia, and recently spent 6 months playing rugby in Japan. What's the number one thing that makes Queensland feel like home?

To be honest with you, my family immigrated here in 2006, when I was 16 years old, so that’s the first time for me that I remember. Representing and going to school in Toowoomba for one year, playing for Queensland was my only option. I think I started getting a love for Queensland at school.
It means a lot to me. My whole career, I tried to get here for the Reds, but unfortunately it didn’t happen. After 9 years, I’m finally here so I’m very happy about it.

It’s an awesome school, Toowoomba Grammar. I’ve still got connections there, John O’Farrell, the director of rugby. In my spare time, I’d love to go back there and give back. Toowoomba Grammar and Australia’s given me so much in my life.

What was it like coaching in the Sunshine Coast last year?

It was really interesting. I started missing rugby. I retired, due to a heart condition. So I took 6-7 months off, that was the only way for me to get back into rugby. So I started coaching and really enjoyed it. It’s something I’d like to get into in the future.

After 6-7 months, I got a second opinion and they gave me the thumbs up! That’s when I started to make myself available, had the opportunity to go to Japan, then got the opportunity with these guys.

Can you talk about your rugby journey at a young age. When did you decide you wanted to play rugby professionally?

Ok, so in South Africa, it’s obviously massive. Growing up, it’s almost like a religion. From the first day, I was very competitive and did all sports. I was very privileged to go to a good high school. Then when I started, I did everything, from cricket, athletics, swimming, then I soon noticed I only had a future in one of those sports and I had to choose rugby. I focused on that from when I was around 17-18, that’s when I decided I wanted to have a go at it. Then after that, I was in the Western province Stormers academy for a year and then came to Australia at the end of 2010. That’s when I ended up playing for GPS for a couple years, and then I went to the Brumbies from there. That’s where it all started.

Have you always been a Prop? And also, is it your preferred position?

No mate. To be honest, I would love to play fly-half (Laughs). But on a serious note, I was actually an inside centre until I was about 16 years old. I’ve got a twin brother, we were born identical, but I was always 20 kilos lighter than him. I was playing center and around grade 12, I sort of “popped out” and they said “no you’re too slow and fat for a center”. So basically that’s where it started. (Laughs)

What advice would you give to aspiring players, both boys and girls?

Mate, I would focus on the smaller things in rugby. When I was younger, I really neglected the smaller thing, like stretching, the small self-discipline things. And when you’re older, your body starts noticing.

From a young age, get the small things that no-one sees, get those habits in and the rest will come. Because once your playing at a top level, talent and that sort of stuff can only get you so far. Then the hard work and the things that people don’t see, that really makes a difference at the end.

And this is a question I try and ask everyone. Can you tell us something about yourself that not many people may know?

Ok yeah. One thing, I’m very into chick-flicks - romantic comedies. That’s actually something no-one knows about me, I think maybe my brother does. But yeah I’ll open it up now. Romantic comedies. (Laughs)

Thanks JP for your time. I hope pre-season training continues to go well. Reds fans are cheering you on this year.


Thanks mate. Appreciate it. I’ve heard a lot about you. Nice to finally meet you. Brandon said he had an awesome time with you last week. I appreciate the support and thanks for making me feel so welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment