Friday 12 January 2018

A True Queenslander: A Conversation with Brandon Paenga-Amosa

It’s a new year for the Reds! And what better way to start the year than by getting to know one of the newest players. Brandon received a call-up after two outstanding seasons in the NRC in the New South Wales sides. Even though he is born in New Zealand, Queensland will happily claim him. I hope you enjoy my first interview of the year! You’ll find out, as I did, that he’s a fun, down-to-earth guy.

First of all, welcome to Queensland!

Thank you very much. Thanks Tom.

How are you finding things so far?

Oh bro. I’m loving it aye. Just the weather’s been pretty crazy, but I love it. I’ve got a lot of family up here and the boys here are amazing. I couldn’t have asked for a better group of rugby players to play with. Coming from Sydney, I’ve always had a soft-spot for Queensland. Even during Origin, I’d always go for Queensland. Don’t tell my parents that. [Laughs].

When I got the phone call from Brad, he said “would you like to be a Queenslander”, I said “bro, I’d love to”.

Can you tell Reds fans a little bit about yourself.

You were born in New Zealand. Did you play any rugby at all in that country?

No. So basically I came to Australia before I started primary school. I started playing rugby league down in Sydney, in the Bulldogs comp. Then as a junior, I started playing rugby union, playing Colts from the age of fifteen, for about four years, and then I switched to grade. I’ve been playing South District down in the Shute shield.


From the moment I switched to rugby when I was 15, I just loved it, and I just want to be the best that I can be. Now I’m playing for the Reds, I’m proud of myself, and I can’t wait.

What was it that drew you to play rugby?

Basically, being a kiwi, every young man has aspirations to play for the All Blacks. I did too, even when I was playing League. It wasn’t until I clicked that I can’t play for the All Blacks if I’m playing Rugby League. Then I came to my senses and switched to Rugby when I was fifteen.

And from that moment on, I thought let’s be honest, I’m not going to be an All Black because I’m playing in Australia. Then I thought, yeah I’m gonna be the best player I can, and I’m gonna try and crack the Wallabies. So from that moment on, I was like let’s do this. I wanna be a Wallaby one day. And that’s the dream, to represent the green and gold.

I couldn’t have asked for a better coach too, Brad Thorne. An amazing coach. I look up to him. I used to play X-Box, rugby 2008, he was my favourite player on the game. Now, it’s kind of like a dream come true having his as my coach, to lead me and guide me to be the best player I can be.

Who were your favourite players growing up?

Ok, so Brad Thorne. My top five players were, King Carlos, that’s Carlos Spencer, number ten for the All Blacks. (I can’t wait to meet him at the 10s competition, and say “bro, you are the flippin’ man!") Richie McCaw, he was one of my favourites… Also, I’d say Rodney So’oialo , he was the number eight for the All Blacks from 2002 I think, until 2008. He was a big reason I grew my hair out, because I wanted to mimic him, because I loved his dreadlocks. Also, George Smith, he’s the man aye. He had dreadlocks too… and David Pocock. They were my top five players growing up.

Have you always played Hooker?

When I first started playing rugby, I was actually a “ten” [fly-half] which is pretty funny. But I was a bit too chubby, so I moved to six [blind-side flanker]. I was a six through high school, until year 11, when I switched to seven [open-side flanker], until I was nineteen.

So it wasn’t until I spoke to some of the coaches at the Waratahs, and they said you’re not going to make it as a seven, so you’re going to have to switch to Hooker, or just keep playing park footy as a seven.

So I made that switch, and it got me to where I am today. I wish I’d actually made that switch earlier. A bunch of people down in Sydney used to tell me “you need to switch to hooker”, but I was a bit too stubborn aye. My mindset was that the hooker is the fat guy on the team, the lazy guy.

But yeah, I finally made that switch and I never looked back. Now I’m loving it aye. Scrums are the best part of the game.

What do you enjoy most about living in Queensland so far?

I love the chilled-back lifestyle aye. Like coming from Sydney, Sydney’s full on. Crazy people speeding down the street., a bunch of arrogant drivers. But when you come to Brisbane… I’m the only arrogant driver!

But coming to Brisbane, it’s always beautiful, it’s always sunny, it’s always a happy vibe. Being around the boys, all the boys are always keen to hang out. I’ve got a heap of family around here.
I love the Gold Coast too. It’s one of my favourite spots.

And the question I try and ask everyone... Can you tell us something about yourself that not many people may know?

Ooh ok. I love that. Not many people know this, but I was born on Christmas day. Some people call me black Jesus. Another one is… I love the Disney channel, even to this day. A lot of the time when I turn on the TV, I go straight to the Disney channel. I’m still a kid at heart.

Also… I love playing with toy soldiers, you know the things where your parents stand on them and they get angry, I love playing with those. I’m trying to think of more things aye…

Oh another fun fact is I did two years at bible college, at Hillsong International Leadership College in Sydney. I didn’t have enough money to start bible college straight out of school, so I worked as a garbageman for six months. I finished up there, and I started at bible college, studying to be a youth pastor, and a youth leader. Right now I actually do a lot of youth work with Hillsong at the youth groups. Back in Sydney, I always used to go to prisons, and teach Scripture and teach religious classes, I used to do that in schools as well.

That’s what I love doing in my spare time when I’m not here. I love teaching kids about the good news of God, the good news of Jesus Christ. Also, I just love trying to be a good role model as much as I can to those that don’t know the love of Christ, I just try to shine my light as much as I can.

Thanks Brandon for your time. And good luck with the rest of pre-season training.

Thanks Tom. I really appreciate all that you do around here with the boys, all the support that you give. It’s people like you that we play for.

Thank you for being an amazing man. Thank you very much.


No comments:

Post a Comment