Wednesday 31 January 2018

Catching up with Caleb Timu


Last week, I had the pleasure of catching up with Caleb Timu, Reds back rower. After being restricted by injury for some of last year, he bounced back and had a great NRC season playing for Queensland country. As he shared, he's looking forward to the Reds season ahead, and is ready to give it his all!

[Also, since catching up last week, his second child was born just a few days ago! Congratulations!!!]

Hi Caleb, thanks for taking the time to catch up!

No worries, my pleasure.

How is pre-season training going?

Yeah pre-seasons training’s nice and tough, nice and hot out here as you can see, you’ve been out here. But it’s been good, the boys have been putting in some good hard work. So when the season comes, we’re ready to play some good rugby for you and all the other fans!

How excited are you about the 2018 season?

Yeah I’m really excited. The season should be really good. As you know, we’ve got a few new players in, and also a new coaching staff, so things have gone well. I’m really exciting about how we can put some good performances and together and really do Queensland proud. Hopefully I can play some Super Rugby this year and get out on the pitch.

I'm excited, to say the least. I think it's gonna be a good year.

Definitely!

Let's work our way backwards. Congrats on the NRC season win last year!

Thanks man! Yeah it was really good. Good for Queensland Country to get a premiership, after a few years of not doing so well. Thanks for all your support for our NRC campaign!

You started your professional journey with the Brisbane Broncos. What was it that drew you to Rugby Union?

I think just a career change for me at the time. The Reds provided an opportunity for me to play at the highest level, that was one of the big reasons for me to come across. I’d just got married, and wanted to do whats best for my family. A few reasons.

How old were you when you started playing rugby?

I first played rugby at under-8s, that was for the Sunnybank Dragons. That was my very first sport, I came across from New Zealand at age 5. I was playing under-9s with Samu Kerevi, so we go way back, playing junior rugby together. So it’s cool, our paths kind of got us together to where we are now. So yeah, Sunnybank Dragons! It’s been a long time.

Who were your favourite players growing up?

My favourite player would have been Tana Umanga from the Hurricanes, and from Australian Rugby, Scott Higganbotham was someone I always like watching. And yeah, being able to play with him’s been pretty cool. Those two players, I liked watching them, and admired how they play.

What is your favourite part about playing for the Reds?

I just like the boys, the squad. The culture and the club. It’s really positive. I enjoy coming to training every day, it’s just a good place to be. That’s the main thing - the people and the club itself - the culture.

Can you tell us something about yourself that not many people may know?

Yep! A couple of things a lot of people don’t know - I play the tenor saxophone. I only know a few easy songs, but I own one, and I pick it up every now and then.

I also like baking, so cookies and cakes and whatever else. Growing up, I had a passion for baking.

Thanks Caleb for taking time out. Keep training hard. Reds fans are supporting you all the way.

Awesome! Thank you Tom. Thanks for the interview, for asking a few questions and for your support as always.

No comments:

Post a Comment