Thursday 29 March 2018

A Conversation with Queenslander and Wallaroo Sarah Riordan


After a great win at Ballymore over the weekend, I was lucky to catch up with Queensland and Wallaroo Center Sarah Riordan. I enjoyed hearing her talk about the Super W competition and her excitement about Women's rugby in general.

Queensland's last round game of the competition is this weekend... So if you haven't been following, it's a perfect time to jump on board! They are playing the Western Force in Perth on Saturday and the game will be broadcast live on Fox Sports at 5pm Brisbane time. I'll be watching!

In the meantime, get to know one of the teams (many) stars:

Hi Sarah, thanks for taking time in the middle of a busy season to catch up. Congrats on a great win over the weekend! How did you feel about the game against Melbourne?


It was really good. It was good to get out there, get some form back within the team, get that positivity, play the game that we know that we can play and take that into the next game.

What a game by the way. 60 to nil isn't a bad score line. Well done with your 3 tries by the way!

Thanks!

You and your team are a part of Australian rugby history. How does it feel to be a part of the first ever Super W competition?

It feels really good. Its good to see where rugby has come, since I started. It’s exciting to think that this is just the start and imagining what it’s going to be like in two years, five years and then ten years. It’s just exciting for women’s rugby. It’s great to be a part of it and be able to leave a legacy behind for those to come.

What's been your favourite thing about the competition so far?

I think the publicity and exposure that the sport’s getting is really exciting. It makes you feel that people want to watch you play. It’s nice having a curtain raiser before the men… but Sunday at Ballymore was awesome - everyone was there for us. It was a really great thing. It’s getting our game out there and getting people talking about women’s rugby.

I'd like to hear about your rugby journey in particular. How many years have you played rugby?

I started playing when I was 16, so almost 10 years, a good 9 years. I started down in New South Wales, played country, played nationals a few times. Then I went overseas and played for a little bit in England, which I think developed my game. I came back two years ago and made the Aussie squad and just did my first World Cup which is great. Rugby’s done a lot for me, I’ve travelled… I’ve made the World Cup, so I’m quite happy with what I’ve achieved in this sport… and now this.

What was the thing that made you want to play rugby?

I just played because it was something different. I just gave it a go. I played league before and I liked how rugby was just so different. There’s all these one percenters that you can control, with league, you know that there’s six tackles, you know you can kick. Whereas with rugby, it’s unpredictable and it’s a contest at all times, which is what I love. You’ve got to be on your toes at all times and be able to adjust both mentally and physically. I think that’s what I like about it.

How did you end up playing in Queensland - and what's your favourite thing about playing here?

With the line of work I do, obviously I have to move around. I got posted down in Melbourne, played club rugby down there, then got posted up to Brisbane, hence why I’m here. I had a bit of a say in where I got to be posted, and I chose Brisbane because I knew, not just the talent, but also the facilities and the support that Queensland women’s rugby has up here. The competition is great, I think it’s probably a bit better than in Sydney.

And my favourite things about Queensland… just the weather! It’s nice all the time. It’s not to hot, it’s not too cold. You can get a nice tan all year round.

What would you say to any young girls interested in playing the game?

Look I definitely encourage it. My nieces are three and two, and I’m trying to get them into it. Not force them, but… You want to show young girls that it’s ok, you can play this sport and you can do everything else that you want to do. You don’t have to play in dirt and mud and play with boys to play rugby. It’s a women’s game now in Australia. But I’d definitely encourage it, and all sizes too. I say to my mates now… some of them are smaller and I say come to a game and you’d be surprised by the size of some of our girls.

It doesn’t matter how big you are on the outside, I think it’s the size of your ticker, it’s like any sport really. I’d definitely encourage them, for sure.

Do you have any other hobbies in particular besides rugby?

Um.. I don’t know if eating is a hobby [laughs]… A lot of outdoor stuff like camping, fishing, going to the beach, all that type of normal stuff really. I like to spend time with family too… I try and seperate rugby life and personal life sometimes. You need to, because it get’s a bit overloaded at times.

Thanks Sarah for your time.

That’s ok!

You're an inspiration to many rugby fans, and I'm sure (also) many young girls playing the game.

I hope so, that’s the whole point of it isn’t it.

No comments:

Post a Comment