Thursday 1 March 2018

Izaia Perese - Eyes Still on the Prize

It's been a big year for Izaiah Perese (better known as Izzy), with the birth of his daughter in January. Then, on the field, his form at the Global 10s competition and the Reds pre-season games has been excellent. Unfortunately, in the closing minutes of the Reds final pre-season game against Fiji, he was dealt a rough blow by injuring his ACL in his knee. I'm glad he was still able to follow through on our plan to catch up though. It was great to see that he is staying positive, in spite of his set-back, especially in light of the advice and encouragement he's been getting from Queensland coach Brad Thorne.

With his eyes on the prize of a steady recovery, Izzy is still a player to watch for in 2018!


Hey Izzy,
Thanks for taking the time to chat. I know it's tough being injured. How are you going at the moment?

Um.. I’m going good. I had a chat with Thorny. At the time and I was pretty discouraged. I was very down on myself about what’s going on, because it was literally the last 2 minutes of the trial game, that’s when I did it.

But Thorny said that maybe it’s all good timing, you know you’ve just had a kid, and maybe it’ll give that extra bit of time to work, and give you family time. When Thorny opened my eyes to that, it made me really appreciate this time that I’m now going to get with my family. Although I’m still going to work hard and try and get back as quick as possible, I’m really gonna enjoy my family as well.

I’m going great. I’ve seen it as a blessing in disguise.

Looking back over pre-season, what were the highlights for you from the Global 10s competition?

I think, a highlight from the 10s comp was being able to run out and enjoy it. It was a serious thing, but the most exciting thing about it was being able to express myself and let loose on the field… running lines, making tackles, being able to hook into it with the boys. There was just a little bit less “pressure” than a normal Super Rugby game.
Another highlight was definitely winning against the Chiefs, because I think a lot of people wrote us off for that.

Looking back at last years NRC, you were an important part of the Queensland country squad. What were your highlights of the competition?

The highlight was, surprisingly, not playing, but seeing the boys flourish with how they’re working together and winning games. I’m not that type of person that feels like the team depends on me. 
But when I was in there, it felt like a different team. Everyone wants to put in work for each other. I wasn’t playing, and Filipo came in. He was amazing me at training, and I was thinking “why isn’t this dude playing”, then I found out he had a little suspension. But when he came back, he really showed what he had on the training paddock and on the field, and it was electric aye. My highlights were being able to watch the boys really win and flourish together and take it out. That was the highlight, when we won the premiership.

Can you tell us a bit about your rugby journey leading up to playing for the Reds?

Definitely. So, I started off playing rugby league, and was going through the ranks there. I was a bit of a naughty kid at school, just due to not knowing who I was, and not knowing what I wanted to do and hanging out with the wrong crowd. Mum made the decision to send me to Saint Edmund’s College out in Ipswich, I got my first taste of rugby union and I was excelling in it and loving it.

Eventually, because it was all the way out Ipswitch and living in Stafford, I was catching two trains to get there and it became too much. I made a phone call to David Miles, my Saint Eddie’s coach and he strongly recommended Jason Gilmore. We made a call to him, sent our plea, and eventually got a scholarship through Churchie. It was amazing, such a good opportunity. Churchie and the ARU just took so much care of me and my family. I’m so grateful to what rugby union has given me and my family.

There was a lot of ups and downs, but the main thing was I always stayed focused and never lost sight of where I wanted to be. That’s pretty much my rugby journey.

Tell us some things you gained during your representative travels.

I think I gained a lot, as a person. It was a good character builder for me. Always training and not playing is always a hard thing to do. I was always trying to crack it, but never did. A couple of things I did learn were good keys in defence, and good keys in attack. Bernie [Stephen Larkham] and Greysy [Anthony Greys] helped me a lot with knowledge, and Cheika and Nick too. But the character thing took me through, always training and never playing. It made me better as a person, and made me more hungry to try and get a cap.

What drew you to play rugby at a young age?

I think it’s because Mum knew I was getting a bit too aggressive with the soccer players. She said “I’m going to switch you to rugby” and it actually worked out. I loved rugby, you could just take your anger out. I was an angry little boy when I was younger. I think that was the reason… Mum seeing that rage inside of me, and thought there’s nothing better to do than chuck me into a contact sport [laughs].
Who were your favourite rugby players growing up?

I would have to say George Gregan was one of them and also Bernie [Stephen Larkham]. George Gregan was such a great captain, such a great person, and knowing him personally, he’s just a genuine bloke.

You’re speed and strength seems to suit you as an outside back. Has that always been your preferred position though?

Yeah it has. I always wanted to be a prop but… Nah I’m joking [laughs]. I was a prop to start with, but I got taller, and lost all the fat. So it put me into the backs. But I love playing out on the wing, it’s definitely something different, when you get space and speed, I love that rush. I think I love outside center the most, but I haven’t played there in a while.

Can you tell us something about yourself that not many people may know?

I definitely have a massive soft spot for dogs… actually all animals. Even if it’s the ugliest animal, like a snake or a crocodile. The other day I was watching “Swamp People“ and you know how they kill crocodiles for a living, I was thinking that’s hopeless, they’re just poor little things getting hurt for no reason. It’s totally changed my perspective on crocodiles now and I really think they’re cute creatures, it’s weird aye. But I’ve got a massive soft spot for animals, and it’s something I’d really love to work with after footy.

And I’m a massive family man, which I’m not sure if anyone would know, but I love my family.

Thanks Izzy for your time. Remember, we're cheering you on while you get back to full fitness!

Thank you very much for having me. I really enjoyed it. I’d love to do this any time you want.

1 comment: