Thursday 12 April 2018

A Conversation with Queensland Winger Ivania Wong


It was fun catching up with Ivania Wong this week. Ivania is one of the great up-and-comers in the Queensland Women’s XV, a team that is heading for the Super W final next Friday against New South Wales!

[Tune into Fox Sports at 4:45pm, on Friday 20th, or join me at Allianz Stadium in Sydney! It’ll be a great game, before the post-match entertainment that will feature the Waratahs and the Lions.]

I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed chatting with her! For a player so talented, you won’t believe how long she’s actually been playing rugby for…

Hi Ivania, Nice to chat! Thanks for taking time for an interview. I know your team is busy training hard.

How are you feeling this week? I hope you did get too sick, along with the rest of the team.

I’m feeling alright. It’s pretty exciting, with the build up and stuff, so I’m pumped for it. We’re doing pretty good. We’ve got three trainings left after tonight, so we’re excited to keep building.

A huge congratulations on the win over in Perth. You must have been proud of the teams effort.

Thanks! Yeah it was a pretty close game. What topped that win off was how we fought and played as one to get that final score at the end that would put us through to the final.

You and the team have done so well. We are really proud of you and your efforts so far. I'm cheering you on, all the way to the final!

Thank you. Hopefully we can bring the trophy home with us. 

As a part of the Super W competition, you are a part of history for Queensland and Australian sport. How does that feel?

It’s a pretty big thing to be a part of this. This is my third year playing, so to be a part of Super W is something that for women’s rugby, it’s pretty unreal.

Besides making the finals, what's been a highlight of the season so far?

I think it’s just being a part of something so big. It’s something that everyones getting pumped for, it’s not just us getting excited for it.

I'd like to hear about your rugby journey. You came from Papa New Guinea - what brought you to Australia?

I moved here because Dad moved here. I wasn’t really a fan of Rugby Union, I was more of a “Leaguey”. But then, one of my mates decided to invite me to training, I went to Sunnybank and ever since that first training I just loved it. I’m in my third year playing now.

How old were you when you started playing rugby?

I was 18, I’m 21 this year.

What's your favourite thing about the game of rugby?

You get to meet a lot of people that end up being your mates, some of your best mates.

What are your personal goals, rugby or otherwise?

Umm I’d love to play for the Wallaroos, I’ve never really thought of it, but I’m starting to have that in mind. Hopefully I’ll go down that path.

What would your message be to Queensland rugby fans, looking to the finals?

Coming from my first game, I think that was a big game for us, and the excitement level was there. It’s a pretty big thing and everyone should be excited for it. It’ll be a big game!

Thanks Ivania for your time. See you in Sydney!

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment