Thursday 12 April 2018

Sitting Down with Sammie Treherne


This week, I had the pleasure of interviewing Queensland Fullback Sammie Treherne. As one of the stars in the Queensland Womens XV, she helped secure the team a place in the finals next Friday. In their last round game, they came back from a half time deficit to win 32-30 against the Western Force… thanks to an amazing team effort, which included three tries from Sammie!

A real character on and off the field, Sammie is definitely a player to look out for, next Friday and into the future. It was great to catch up and hear her talk about the game she loves most.

[Finals news: Queensland will be playing New South Wales in the (first ever) Super W final on Friday April 20th. Make sure you tune into Fox Sports and watch! I’ll be watching from the stands in Sydney… ;-) ]

Hey Sammie, Thanks for taking the time to chat! I was sad to hear some of the team have been unwell. How are you and the team this week?

I’m ok! Some of the girls, I think they’re recovering. They had a good break over the week. It was good for us to have that time off, and we’ve all come back fresh so far. There were a couple of niggles, but nothing too serious.

Congrats on the teams last win in Perth! That was an exciting game for sure, I enjoyed watching.

Yes it was a close game. It was a nerve-racking game on the field. All of the girls they just didn’t want to loose, they didn’t want to go down at half time.

How did it feel securing a spot in the finals?

The first the Super W final! It feels good to say that it’s Queensland and New South Wales. 

You played extremely well - well done on scoring three tries!

Thank you.

How has training been going, in the lead up to the final on the 20th April?

I think tonight was our first training with our head coach. On Monday we came together and had a lot of contact, just to blow off the cobwebs, after having the whole week off to recover last week. We had a good hit-out, we were all focused and we’ve improved from our trainings from round one to this round. So I’m looking forward to going to the finals.

I love hearing people's rugby journey. How did you end up playing the game?

My family are a huge rugby family, my Mum and Dad met through rugby. I just grew up watching rugby in Melbourne. I started playing when I was 18, and then went through the Rebels and then the Aussie Sevens squad. I wasn’t getting very far with everything down there, so I made the move to Queensland. And ever since I moved here, which was in 2016, it’s just grown since then.

What do you love most about rugby?

Probably just being around the girls. It’s such a great sport. Girls just always get around each other. When ever I’m having a bad day, I love coming to training and seeing all the girls. Especially the Queensland Reds. They’re all driven, they’re all motivating and they’re always there for you. And also the feeling of winning I guess.

What do you love most about playing for Queensland?

Just the girls. They always get around each other, they’re always so supportive. It’s always good at training. They always go hard against each other, but we’ve always got each others backs on the field. It’s good to have that feeling. We always trust our team mates up here.

What are some things you love to do, besides rugby?

Hmmm. I don’t know! It’s really all I’ve got! (Laughs) I like to go out and eat. If you’re going to have down time, it’s probably good… I’ve been working full-time and then training, doing that morning and night…
I like camping as well, going somewhere quiet. They’re my two main things. Eating and camping.

Thanks Sammie for your time. See you in Sydney!

Are you gonna be in Sydney?

I'll be there!

Yeah, cool! That’s alright. Thank you for interviewing me!

No comments:

Post a Comment