Thursday 26 April 2018

Making it Count: Catching up with Reds Scrumhalf Moses Sorovi

 Today I got to catch up with Moses Sorovi - someone who rose to the Reds last year. After playing well over the weekend in our teams game against the Chiefs, Moses took time out to share about his rugby journey, all the way from the Torres Straight Islands through to the Queensland Reds. Softly spoken and always a gentleman, I enjoyed catching up with him.

All the best to the Reds, playing another home game this week against the Lions! I’ll be there, in my usual spot.

Hey Moses, how's the week of training going?

Yeah it’s been pretty good! We’ve prepared pretty well for this weekends game. The boys are looking good for the weekend. Hopefully we’ll get the W.

Tough loss over the weekend. How are you feeling now?

It was a tough loss, but there’s so many positives that can be brought out of that game for this weekend, things to improve. It’s always tough losing, but I’m definitely looking forward to this weekend.

I was there cheering you guys on. Keep putting in the work and I'll see you again this Saturday.

For those that don't know, can you tell us about your journey, all the way from Thursday Island to Brisbane?

I moved from Thursday Island, from a little island called Yam Island, to Brisbane. I went to school at Saint Peters Lutheran College in Indooroopilly and played my first rugby there.

My family came down, along with my two older brothers and we moved to go to Saint Peters. We were there from Grade 8 through to Grade 12. I pretty much learnt how to play Rugby there and I’m still learning. There’s always more to learn.

I went through all the rugby programs, from Juniors, Junior Golds, National Golds and all the way to Under-20s and then to the Reds.

Did you play any other sports growing up?

Not professional, but just social. Basketball, Volleyball, Touch [Rugby], with my family and friends back home… They’re pretty much the main sports over there.

What's the thing you love most about Rugby?

Pretty much just getting around the boys, coming in for training sessions, just being around them and playing with them. I enjoy that. Not everyone gets to do that and be in my shoes. I’m making the most of it.

What are your favourite things to do, when you're not playing rugby?

I like to relax at home and get by mind away from rugby by playing Playstation - I play Fortnite with my mates on my days off.

Thanks Moses - it's great we got to catch up, finally. Again, will see you on Saturday!

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment