Thursday 18 April 2019

Reds Rookies Rule - Featuring Feao Fotuaika


This week, the majority of the team is away in South Africa, getting ready to play the Sharks in Durban.

Reds prop Feao Fotuaika, is unfortunately at home injured with a broken wrist. But it did mean that he was free to catch up, in the middle of his morning fitness session!

Feao is one of the great rookies of this years side, who’s already made his mark on the field. And as I’ve found out during the season, he is a real gentleman off the field! Hope you enjoy reading this weeks interview.

Hi Feao,

Nice to meet you. Thanks for taking some time to catch up!

What’s the plan been for the last 2 weeks, with the team being on the road?

The plan’s been to get my recovery going… I broke my thumb against the Brumbies. I’m missing out on 6 weeks of rugby, so that gives me time to focus on fitness and little things I can fix up on my game. A lot of running for the next few weeks. Yeah.

How are you finding being around Ballymore this year?

I’m really happy being here at Ballymore. I grew up in Queensland and the majority of my family are here so that makes it even more special for me to be able to play for the Reds… I’m enjoying everything. The fans, it’s been unreal. I’m enjoying every moment in the Super environment.

You scored a try during your debut against the Highlanders. Can you talk us through that game and what that experience was like?

I still remember everything little that I did in that game. It was an emotional game for me. My first super rugby game… running out with my parents there. My parents hadn’t seen me play since they left Australia and moved back to New Zealand about 5 years ago. So they haven’t really watched me play live [since moving from League]. It was good to run out and see them there! It was really good contact and everything. It was what I expected at the top level and that try was just a bonus. The whole week leading up to it was just unreal.

You’ve had a pretty interesting rugby career so far. Can you tell us about your journey to the Reds?

Journey to the Reds… it’s a long one. I started off playing rugby league in New Zealand and my parents moved us over when I was around 14, to look for a better life here in Australia. Sport was what me and my brothers were after... I was chasing Rugby League until I was around 18. Then I made the switch. Being in the Under-20 training camp was where it all started. I stuck it in from around 20 until now. I thought of hanging up the boots when I was 25, turning 26. I thought it was too late for me to make it, but I just stayed in there, kept putting in the hard work, then luckily enough got the opportunity to come into the NRC and then pre-season training with the Reds. That’s when it all happened. Getting stuck in during pre-season, I lost about 15 kgs. It was a big change for me. I changed what I was eating, the way I was living life and that’s where rugby with the Reds took me.

What do you find the main difference is between playing in the NRC and playing Super Rugby?

Um… I don’t really see much difference. I think Super Rugby is “smarter”, the way it’s played. You’ve got to be always thinking about your role and doing your job, that’s the hardest thing. You’ve got to be 100% accurate with everything.

The style Super Rugby produces is world-class, it’s what people play to watch. NRC is tough physically and it’s close to Super Rugby standards, which is good as well.

Some of my readers are still learning some of the finer details of the game of rugby. In your own words, how would you describe the props role on the field?

I find it a tough position to play, especially with scrumming, with the work-rate around the field, just doing physical hard work, as a forward, the props role is to be the “enforcer” and the “aggressor” of the team.

What’s your favourite thing to do outside of rugby?

I’ve got two kids, one is seven and one is five. I love to hang out with them as much as I can. Me and my partner love to take them out. If I’m not training or anything, I’m hanging out with my kids and my partner. Other than that, hanging out with friends… I also picked up a new hobby lately which is playing PS4. My partner doesn’t really like it (laughs). I’ll have to kick back on that one. But I enjoy playing GTA with my sons.

Thanks Feao for your time, it’s a real pleasure talking to you. I’m cheering you on during your recovery. 

No thank you for giving up your time to have a conversation with me. I’m happy to talk with you anytime Tom.


No comments:

Post a Comment