Saturday 6 April 2019

Shooting the Breeze with Queenland's Shannon Mato


G’day from Sydney! In case you’ve been living under a rock, the Super W final is on today! I’ve travelled down to support. Good luck to all the players!

Kick off time is 4:30pm at the Leichhardt Oval (which is in Western Sydney). Should be a cracker of a game!

Earlier this week, I caught up with Queensland lock, Shannon Mato. I hope you enjoy reading our chat, as much as I enjoyed talking with her. Go Shannon!!!



Hey Shannon, congrats on a great team win in the play-off last weekend.

Thank you!

You played brilliantly. What’s been the teams mindset this week, since that game?

Just to execute well together, to be patient, to work well together, to just relax, but be hungry at the same time, to go in with contention.

What’s been your highlight this year, during the Super W season?

I would say being a part of the whole Super W has been my highlight and just going out and putting on the maroon jersey.

You were chosen to be a part of the Classic Wallaroo’s match a few weeks back. What are some things you learnt from that experience?

It was a really good experience. It was a big eye opener for me, the culture was good. And you can make good friendships by playing rugby. I learnt that culture means a lot, out there in the country (we were playing in a country town). 

How long have you been playing rugby for? And also, what inspired you to play rugby, right at the beginning?

So I started off with Rugby League in school, when I was 13. Then I moved over to Australia [from New Zealand] and my friends asked me to play Sevens, just for fitness, then Sunnybank asked me to play fifteens. Thats how I started playing Rugby Union, in grade 11. What inspired me to play rugby… that was my brother. He always had a passion for it and he just told me to come down to a club. I started playing and I fell in love rugby.

What’s something you love to do when you’re not playing rugby?

I love animals. I have two dogs, Bentley and Zeuss… I love them very much. Other than that, I love to sing. I have sung for school, but I’m normally too shy to sing out there. But in my own time, I love to sing.

All the best this weekend Shannon! I’ll be cheering you on this Sunday, in Sydney.

Thank you! Thank you for having me.

No comments:

Post a Comment