Thursday 20 February 2020

A Super Conversation with Queenland's Saxon Campbell


Super W has lift-off !!!

The Reds women had an official bye during week one of Super W last week and instead had a hit-out against a strong Fijiana team. I was glad to be there to support, even though they didn't come out on top, this time.

This coming weekend, they are in Perth playing the Western Force! One player who is looking forward to the game is Saxon Campbell, an experienced lock, who has represented Queensland for a number of years. It was great hearing about her determination and focus on bringing the trophy home in 2020. I'm sure you'll enjoy reading out conversation.

A huge thanks Saxon for taking time out from a busy training week to chat!

Tough outcome last weekend, but it was just a warm-up. What did you learn from Sunday’s game, both personally and as a team?

Personally, for myself, I probably could have given more. Only because with my team-mates, everyone tries to do their job and plays to their strengths as well. So felt that I could have given more personally to the team and the girls.

For the team, coming together, having a long pre-season, we worked through what our structures were, what we should have brought, but we didn’t execute very well. That’s definitely a learning curve for us moving forward.

I’m really excited about your first official game this weekend. What’s going to be the team’s focus on Saturday?

Last week, we had a few key players out, so having them back this week will be good. There’ll be more talking… There’s a person that’s a talker, there’s a person that’s a doer. Like Shannon, she does her role, you follow her.. Lori’s a good talker, Courts is a good talker… When you have those people in your ear, that’s what’s going to change this week. It’ll be a good change.

You made your debut for Queensland back in 2012. How have things changed since then? And also, what was your highlight of the 2019 Super W season?

Geez, you’re going way back! I think, just the growth of womens sport… Back in 2012, we had to pay to play. We definitely didn’t get access to the gym, we didn’t get a kit back then… I think there were a few times where we could fundraise to play and obviously to travel. Now, what’s changed is that we don’t have to pay, we get looked after by our management, at least… which makes it more stress-free. All we have to do is rock up, train and play.

And my highlight of last season… I guess just being able to be a part of the campaign and being a part of how women’s sport has developed. And just being amongst the talented women that I get to play alongside and wearing the jersey is something that I’m proud of. Especially for my nieces! My nieces, 5 and 10, are getting into rugby now and they watch my sister and I. I hope that them watching me will inspire them as well!

What inspired you to play rugby?

So I come from a netball background. My sister Cheyenne Cambell, she actually played with Mosy [Moana Virtue, Reds head coach], they were playing with Easts at the time and pretty much dominating the comp back then. 2011 was my first time playing open rugby. My sister got me into it and I haven’t looked back since. She’s inspired me and is basically my everything, she’s my go-to when I need some advice. I make sure that she watches my game and she’s my hardest critic as well. I always learn from her.

What are your goals looking forward?

I just want to take it game by game, do my role and make sure I’m contributing to the team and doing my one percenters throughout the games. Each game is obviously different and you have to look at them differently. But if I stick to my role, my ultimate goal is to bring the trophy back. That’s what I want to work towards.. Basically, don’t give up.

What’s your favourite thing to do, outside of rugby?

Um, I just like to chill really! I like to be with my family. If I can get away and just relax, especially after a training week, it’s nice to just wind down and chill with the family, hang out with friends, maybe get a beer (laughs).

Thanks Saxon for taking time to chat. All the best over in Perth, this Saturday!!!!

Thank you so much for having me! I hope I was as entertaining as the superstars you get here (laughs).

No comments:

Post a Comment