Thursday 6 February 2020

Catching up with Queenslander and Wallaroo Averyl Mitchell


In case you’re under a rock in rugby-land, you’ll know the Super W competition is set to take off next weekend!

The Reds women will start with a buy, before flying to Perth(!) to play the Western Force. Lock it in your calendars - Saturday February 22nd at 6pm our time (AEST).

To celebrate the start of Super W 2020, I caught up with Averyl Mitchell, hooker for the Queensland Reds and the Wallaroos!

On a wet day at Ballymore, Averyl took time out from her hectic work and training day to come indoors and have a chat. Hope you enjoy reading my interview!

Hey Averyl, thanks for making time to catch up today! I know you have a busy life down here at Ballymore!

The Super W season is almost here! How excited are you and the team?

I’m really excited. I’ve actually come back, in the last couple of weeks, from a stress fracture on my foot. So I’ve been captain of the Watt bike for 2 months straight. I’m just so excited to even be at training, just to rip in and get some contact. We’re super excited, after last year, we’re keen to prepare and have a great season.

Are you looking forward to your trip to Perth for the first game on the 22nd February?

Yes and no! The trip to Perth is a bit of a long one. That’s one where you’ve got your kit on, but you always make sure you’ve got your skins and your depression socks on

Yes and no - I get bored on the plane, but I’m really excited to play WA. They’re a really tough physical opponent. They’re a little bit mysterious over there, we don’t see too much of them, so I’m really looking forward to seeing what the team's like this year.

What was the highlight of last years Super W season?

I think the grand final. Not losing it obviously, but getting to it. It was the first time Lori (Cramer) played footy together in quite a while. We met playing rugby at UQ and she’s one of my best mates, that was pretty unreal - and it’s been a dream of mine to play for Queensland. Getting on the bus on the way to the game and my hands were shaking, I was so nervous. Just because it was a culmination of all these years, of grinding away at it, all these injuries and not knowing you’d ever make it. It was so special to wear the jersey! That was the highlight for me I reckon.

What was your favourite thing about playing for Wallaroos last year!

Averyl makes ground for the Wallaroos, against Japan last year in Newcastle
Nothing too new for you, almost the same answer. Playing for your country, is probably the highest individual honour that you can receive in your life. To do that was just a dream come true. It’s a bit of an emotional thing - but getting to do that was an incredible experience and with one of my best mates was pretty unreal. It was a bit of a busy year for me!

What advice would you give to rugby players, both boys and girls, wanting to take rugby seriously?

As weird as it sounds, you’ve got to have the “fun” thing first. At it’s foundation… You’ve got to love your rugby, you’ve got to enjoy it. But the next thing is, if you use me as an example... I’m not really talented at all, I’m not very agile, I have low physical intelligence, I can’t really dance, I wasn’t really an incredible athlete through school, (I played soccer, rugby wasn’t really an option), I suppose... just keep chipping away at it. [Work hard.]

I just read an article about Dane Zander who’s playing for the Reds now, he didn’t even make Nudgee’s First XV. I dunno. I’ve never been the most talented, but I just keep chipping away at it. So if you love it, just keep doing a little bit at a time.

That would probably be my advice. Have patience and enjoy your footy.

What’s your favourite thing to do outside of rugby and outside of graphic design work?

Tricky! You took away the easy answer there! I suppose I like to hang out with my friends and family my dog… but in my spare time, I really like to draw. I’m quite arty. I like coffee shops, that’s another of my favourite things.

Thank you again for your time today! All the best as you prepare for your first game in Perth on February 22nd! 

Not at all. Thank you for interviewing me, after I point blank insisted that you do so. So I’m happy to make time for that. This is a really cool thing! You will remain my favourite Hamilton, until this Super W season is over, at which case - you will still be my favourite Hamilton. Thanks for the chat!

No comments:

Post a Comment