Thursday 6 February 2020

Catching up with Carter Gordan


Super Rugby has kicked off for 2020! The Reds lost by only 3 points to the Brumbies last week, but gave us a solid sign of things to come this season. This Saturday, they play the Lions, in their home territory of Johannesburg, South Africa! I'll be tuning in for sure.

With much of the team away, I caught up with a few of the lads still training (some doing rehab) at Ballymore and had a good sit-down with Carter Gordan!

Carter spent 2019 as a part of the development Reds squad and after a strong showing playing for the West Bulldogs was was named in this years team! Full of potential on the field and a wonderful person off the field, Carter looks like he’ll be ready soon to live out his childhood dream and run out with the Maroon jersey!

Hey Carter, thanks for making time to catch up today!

That’s alright. Anytime!

How have you found training at Ballymore so far this year?

Trainings been interesting. A lot more knowledge stuff this year, around our game plan, around what we want to do. But it’s been really enjoyable and all the boys are making it easy. I’m loving it.

What do you love most about being a part of the Reds squad?

For me, this is only my second year with the Reds boys, I think, just being involved with everything. I’m still learning heaps from the players and the coaches, they've really helped me develop my game. So just learning and being more included.

You’re a Brissy boy now, but you’re originally from the Sunny Coast. How did you find moving from there to Brisbane?

Yeah. So I grew up on the Sunshine Coast, I moved to Brisbane to be in the boarding school at 14. It wasn’t too bad. I didn’t find it too complicated, I wasn’t really a homeboy anyway! I found it pretty easy to transition. I just stayed down here and moved into my own place when I finished school, so I’ve really enjoyed it.

Boarding school didn’t teach me to cook or anything, but it definitely made the change a lot easier.

When did you start playing rugby and what inspired you to play the game?

I was grade one when I started playing rugby, so 6 or 7 years old. My dad played rugby, so he was always pushing us. I loved rugby before I started playing. When I was in prep, it’s all we used to talk about and watch at home. I got into it at grade one when I was old enough to play and that stated me off.

I heard that Dan Carter was one of your heroes growing up. Who else did you look up to while you learning the game?

I always liked watching Dan Carter, especially the technical side of his game. He was one of my biggest heroes growing up. I liked watching the Australian guys too, like Berrick Barnes and those guys.

Recently I’ve enjoyed watching Johny Sexton and the way he plays. He’s probably my number one right now.

What’s your favourite thing to do outside of rugby?

I play a lot of golf. Golf is probably my favourite thing other than rugby to do. I feel like when I need to get away from rugby for a little bit, I can go away for a round and get the clubs out and not think too much about footy.

What are your personal goals at the moment?

For me, I’ve had a couple of niggly injuries in my knees, so at the moment I’m just trying to fix them and get to 100%. Probably my number #1 goal for this year and probably my #1 goal leading up, my whole life, is to play for the Queensland Reds. I’ve wanted to play for the Reds ever since I started rugby. So I’m just grateful to play here and keen to put on the maroon jersey!

That’s awesome. Thanks for the interview Carter. I’m cheering you and all of the Reds boys on this season! There are great things to come in 2020 I am sure!

Thanks Tommy! Great to see you! I look forward to seeing you more and hopefully doing some more interviews with you!

Sounds great!

No comments:

Post a Comment