Thursday 11 May 2017

Catching up with Reds Prop Sam Talakai

I had a great time hanging out at the Reds training today. Afterwards, I was lucky enough to sit down with Sam Talakai, Queensland Reds prop, and ask him a few questions about his life and career. Turns out he has quite a few relatives and family members that have played rugby professionally around the world. So it’s no surprise that he’s shot to the top in Queensland, playing for the Reds. Hope you enjoy reading our interview!


Hey Sam, thanks heaps for making the time to catch up.

Thats’s alright. Thanks for having me here Tommy.

What inspired you to play rugby?

It’s been a part of my family for a while, I’ve got a lot of older family members who have played professional sport, and I guess it’s just in the blood of my family, sdports been a big thing - especially rugby, both league and union. I’m grateful to be able to do what I love I guess.

We know your a Sydney boy. How did you end up coming to Brisbane and to the Reds?

I was playing club rugby in Sydney, and prior to the start of the NRC I got a call from Stylesy [Nick Styles, Reds coach] and he said there’s an opportunity to play for Brisbane City, and if you go well you could possibly have a path to go on and be a Queensland Red. It was tough for me to leave Sydney and leave the majority of my family - I was able to come up here and play for Brisbane City and then lucky enough to get a Reds contract, and I’ve been here for three years now.

Do you have any other family members in Brissy, or are they all back home?

The majority of my family, yeah they’re all in Sydney. I don’t really have much family in Brisbane, but I’ve got an Aunty and Uncle down on the Gold Coast that I try and head down and see every so often.

I can tell from your Twitter page that you’re a fan of other sports. What are your favourite sports besides Rugby?

I love soccer to be honest. I’m a big fan of the English Premier League. Pretty much all types of sports.. soccer, or the NBA are the two that I really look at. Soccer - I’m a big Liverpool supporter. And also, I’m a big Lebron James fan. Hopefully the Cavaliers can get up this season. Yeah - he’s an awesome athlete. I enjoy both of those teams.

What are your favourite things besides sports?
I like to do a bit of exploring. I like to go and have a coffee.. I love cafes, I like sitting in cafes, reading about different sports, looking at articles… I like taking photos of scenery. Since I met my girlfriend, she’s taken me on a few hikes. I like a good view where I can take a few photos, that’s really grown on me at the moment.

What is the biggest highlight in your life so far?

My first ever State game. It was for a rival team of the Reds, in the Blue (laughs). But it was a very important game for me, because I was able to one: make my debut, two: play the British/Irish Lions, and three: play against my cousin, who played for the Lions - Mako Vunipola (he’s another prop). That was a big thing for both myself and my family.

[Someone listening in mentioned his cousin who plays in the NRL…]

I’ve got a cousin that plays for the Rabbitohs, he’s an up and coming player, his names Sifa Talakai - he’s plays in the Centers for the Bunnies. But yeah, I’ve got two cousins that play for England, Billy and Mako Vunipola, and both of them this season will be playing for the Lions, but when I made my debut only Mako was playing.

Who were the rugby players that inspired you the most growing up?


I watched a lot of rugby league growing up, from about ages of 5 up until probably high school.  My other first cousin Jim Dymock played for the Canterbury Bulldogs and I looked up to him a lot. I was able to go and watch some of his games as a young 4-5 year old. I really looked up to him as an inspiration.


Then I got into high school and we were only allowed to play Rugby Union. I started enjoying the game, and started looking at props… I really loved Andy Sherrington, an England prop. He was awesome, I thought he was one of the great props. And lot of kiwi props moving forward, I really tried to emulate my game off them, the likes of Carl Hayman etcetera.

As a professional rugby player, what advice would you have for aspiring players, both boys and girls?

For me, I think the biggest thing that I tend to look at, especially for younger kids coming through.. is don’t get bored of the situation that you’re in. A lot of people get frustrated that they don’t make the rep teams quick enough, or they’re not getting looked at early enough… for me, you know I’m a late bloomer in that regard. For me I think the one thing that all athletes, especially in Australian rugby we need to do a bit more, is persist and trust the process.

It’s not a bad thing to play club rugby for an extra 2-3 years, and learn your craft as a rugby player. Because those are the things that will help you take that next step forward. You know, trusting the process, and doing the little things right, and making that second nature. Because once you get to the top, there’s very little room for error. I think that’s one lesson that a lot of kids can take moving forward, and that’s trusting the process, don’t get bored of the situation that you’re in, and enjoy your time playing club rugby, because that’s where you learn most of your craft.

Thank you Sam for your time. All the best for this weekend!

Thanks mate, thanks for having me. See you around at training soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment