Friday 19 May 2017

From A to B (Alstonville to Ballymore) - Catching up with Country Boy Jake McIntyre



Hi Jake, nice to be able to catch up like this. Thanks for making the time.

Thank you. Pleasure to do it.

Was there a particular player that inspired you to play rugby union?

I don’t think there was a particular professional player. My Dad played growing up and so I was always watching him, and me and my brothers would always be down at the local footy, I think it was engrained in us. I started playing when I was five. So probably my Dad would be the reason why.

I know you are a NSWelshman at heart. How did you become a Red?

When I first finished school, I had an opportunity of either going to Brisbane or Sydney and joining the National Academy. Brisbane was closer to home, and I’d done a fair bit of training at Ballymore. So I think for me it was the natural decision. I loved the way the Queensland Reds played, and the styles played, and I wanted to be a part of that. I was born in New South Wales, but I’m very much a Queensland Red.

How was it being a part of two championship campaigns for Brisbane City?

Yeah it was really special. The greatest thing is when it first started, we won back to back, and I think now you look at the players that were in those two teams, and a lot of us are playing in the Reds now so I think it’s really special that we’ve come through the ranks together and had success, and hopefully we’ll have success with the Reds.

I know you play Flyhalf. What do you enjoy most about that role?

Um, I think I enjoy being able to boss everyone around. It’s a lot of responsibility, you have to be a leader on the field, and it's probably the opposite off the field, I’m very quiet and keep to myself. And when I’m on the field, it’s a very big challenge and it’s something I really enjoy.

What's the biggest highlight of your life so far?

The biggest highlight with rugby is probably representing Australia in school at the Under-20s World Cup. And obviously making my debut for the Reds was very special for me and my family. Off-field, probably meeting my partner Ash who I now live with is probably the most memorable moment for me.

Can you tell us something about yourself that not many people may know?

Probably that I’m from Alstonville. I’m not actually traditionally a Queenslander, I grew up in a small town in Alstonville. I love the beach, and a game of golf. I’m a pretty open book really, not too many hidden secrets.

As a professional rugby player, what advice do you have for aspiring players, both boys and girls?

Probably just to work on the basics. Obviously people have natural talent, but it’s the hard work, what you do when no-ones watching, that gets you to that next level. So just going away and working the really simple things, the basics. Your tackling, your touch-pass and doing it under pressure, and that’ll help your game go to the next level.

Great answer. I'm sure some people somewhere will be inspired by that. Once again, thanks for your time.


Thank you, my pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment