Thursday 4 May 2017

In the Ring with Old Mate Quade Cooper

For sure Quade Cooper has grown into one of the shining stars in the Queensland Reds team. He's a great player, that's always exciting to watch. But to those of us that have known him a long time, he's just Quade, a regular guy, who cares about people. Members of my family and I watched almost all of his first XV games playing for Churchie (High School) as a teenager, and since then it's been so fun watching his career take off. Australia is blessed to have him. I'm not sure why it's taken so long to interview him. Enjoy!


Hi Quade. Thanks for your time. We have known each other for ages, so it's good to have this chat.

About time aye?

What was it that started you playing Rugby Union?

When I was a kid in New Zealand, (it's the number one sport there), I always wanted to be a professional. When I was young, we didn't have much money. I wanted a way to make money, and do something I loved.

I know it's the middle of the season, but how is it being back at the Reds?

Yeah I’m loving being back at the Reds. It's been my favourite team for as long as I can remember. This team is very close to my heart, it means a lot to me. Going away was tough, and being back is like.. When you've been away from a long lost friend, and you see them again - that sort of feeling.

What is your club team?

My club team's Souths. I've been at Souths since I first moved over here [to Brisbane] as a 12 year old. One of my friends I grew up with in New Zealand played for Souths, which is why I went there, and all of my little brothers, they all play there as well.

Is it hard to maintain your boxing during the Super Rugby season?

Yes it's very hard. Especially in the season. You would have just seen me there stretching, always feeling sore, and having little jiggly injuries. It's never fun trying to box when you've got sore knees, sore feet, sore hands, everything's sore... but I try as much as I can.

We know you play Flyhalf. What does that position involve?

In the Flyhalf you've got to do most of the kicking, most of the passing, but the most important part to Flyhalf is the organisation - being a bit of a bossy boots, and telling everyone where to go, yelling and screaming a fair bit. So communication is probably the biggest thing in my position.

Who was your favourite player growing up?

I had a few, but they were all All Blacks. Growing up in New Zealand.. I loved.. can you remember Christian Cullen? And Carlos Spencer. Carlos's Spencer was probably my biggest hero growing up, in terms of a rugby player.

What is the biggest highlight in your life so far?

The biggest highlight in my life so far would have to be my little nephew being born. He's the first of the next generation of our family, and the first nephew of mine, so I'm pretty stoked about that. My families very important to me.

Rugby and all that stuff have been great, and great memories... but obviously life is a more important thing.

Can you tell us something about you that people may not know?

I don't think there's much that people don't know, because I put most of my life out on social media. So there's not too many secrets. I'm not too sure about that one yet. Oh....

I can't float in a pool at all. I've tried... I've had lessons, and I just can't float and I don't know why. Every time I try I just sink through to the bottom.

It's one of those skills, I see little kids do it, I see old old people do it, and I just can't seem to do it. As a professional athlete, it's very frustrating when your supposed to be good at these sort of things.

You have played for both the Reds and the Wallabies on numerous occasions. What advice do you have for aspiring players, both boys and girls?

Any advice I would give, is not to lose sight of why you started playing the game. Like I was saying, for me it's something I love doing it, and if I wasn't getting paid, I would still be playing. Now I'm fortunate enough to get paid to play, and I get to play in front of big crowds, and get to entertain people, I get to bring happiness to a lot of people as well, in doing that. But never forget, or lose sight of why you started playing.

Thanks Quade for your time. Hope you have a great time on the road.

Thank you - and thanks for finally giving me an interview!

No comments:

Post a Comment