Thursday 25 May 2017

What Makes a Great Leader Tick? An Interview with Stephen Moore

It's not every day you get to sit down with the captain of the Wallabies. This week, after a long training session in the Queensland sun, I was lucky enough to chat with Stephen Moore, a Super Rugby veteran who's recently returned to play for the Reds. During our chat, I got to hear what makes him tick. As it turns out, he gets more satisfaction out of mentoring and and developing younger players than arriving and being “the man” in the team. He has too much passion and long-term vision for Australian Rugby not to think like that. We discussed a range of things in our interview, including where Australian Rugby is at. I hope you enjoy it!

Hey Stephen, great to catch up, thanks for your time.

I'm really glad you're back with the Reds. What was it that brought you back here?

I think to come back to Brisbane, it was a big challenge rugby wise, and that's what excited me about it. The Reds probably had a few tough years after they won the comp [in 2011], and to come back and try and be part of something, it was a big opportunity for me. That was great motivation to me to come as an older player, and use my career to maybe help some of the younger players in Queensland. The second part of it was my family, I've got two young kids now, and one on the way. There’s a bit of a support network up here in Brisbane, you know, friends and family that can help us. That was a big part of it as well.

What do you love most about playing for the Reds?

Something I realised when I came back was the connection of the Reds to the grass-roots, and I think that's really strong. Club rugby for me is probably the best thing about playing rugby. I grew up playing club rugby, that's where I got my opportunity to play rugby professionally - at the club level. For me the Reds have a really good connection to the grass-roots. I’ve been down to my club a couple times down at Uni and seeing the guys playing down there, and the girls as well, and all the kids… my little boy plays out at Wests. Being able to get involved in that is a great thing.

On top of that is the history and the tradition, and to come back to Ballymore and train here every day, you get to fuel that tradition that Queensland rugby has. I think over the next few years we can really add our piece to that tradition.

You've lived in Brisbane most of your life. What do you love most about being back here?

On top what I just said, I suppose the climate is a big thing, having been in Canberra for the last eight years, you probably realise that the winters down there are tough, particularly with young kids. Of course it’s pretty hot here in summer, but I think for most of the year it’s a beautiful place to live. Brisbane is not too big, it's not too small, it's just a great size city to live in.

No doubt, the players have appreciated having you around this season, especially with your level of experience. What has some of your advice been for your team this season?

I think the biggest thing that I've tried to get across to the boys is that the level of professionalism you need to be successful is really high and you need to sacrifice things that normal people do. You have to give things up that you probably love to do and I suppose that’s all a part of committing to something and being a part of a high performing environment that you want to be a part of. Of course you have to enjoy yourself, and take time to do that, but professional rugby and Super Rugby is tough. You have to work really hard, you have to be consistent all the time, and you can learn a lot about that off the field as well.
And we’ve been working hard to get things in place that will set things up for a long time. Queensland always had good players. That’s one thing they’ve always had, and always will have, it’s just what we do with them now is so important, to make them into great Super Rugby players, and ultimately Wallabies.

How do you feel Samu's gone captaining a few games this season?

Yeah he's done really well. I think he's a natural leader, and that helps a lot. He's obviously going to learn a lot, on the run. Captaincy is something you learn a lot about when you’re actually doing it. It can be a lonely place sometimes. But I'm doing all I can to support him and help him. He’s a popular member of the team. He always plays really well, I think that’s an important part of captaincy, getting out there and performing at a high level. He’s shown that he can do that with the captaincy arm-band as well. In the few games that he’s had already, I can see that he’s learnt a lot, and that’ll continue.

[Someone listening in mentioned that we all love the way he champions Sam.]

For me, when I looked at it.. If I can leave this place having brought someone else through, and someone else can be a really good leader and captain for the club… Obviously, we lost Slips early in the year, so it’s important to have people who can be the captain and take those leadership roles, and it’s something we need to work harder on in Australian rugby, developing leaders and people who can take the reigns on the field. That’s more satisfying for me than me just coming in and being captain, it’s not how I want my involvement to be necessarily. 

How do you think Australia will go with the three tests coming up?

Yeah, I'm excited about it. There's a lot of doom and gloom around Australian rugby and a few people writing us off and it’s a good opportunity for a group of players to come together in June and do something really special. We've got three very tough opponents - three very different opponents and three afternoon test matches which I think will be great for Australia and for the fans as well. Hopefully we’ll be able to get some kids able to see the Wallabies for the first time, that would be great. We’re looking forward to the whole thing, and just getting that jersey on again is always very special.

You're a very experienced player, with 116 Wallabies caps behind you so far. What advice do you have for up and coming players, both boys and girls?

I think firstly you need to enjoy what you do all the time. No matter what level you’re playing at, what team you’re playing in, you need to make sure you enjoy it and take some time to just stop and appreciate the opportunity you’ve got.

The other bit of advice I would give is try and get as much balance in your life as you can. Don’t be too obsessed with one particular thing. Get some good balance, whether that’s family, or some educational stuff, whether that’s a degree, or some work experience. I really think the more of that you have in your life, the better your rugby will go as well. You get exposed to different things and different challenges that you don’t always get in Rugby.

And finally, can you tell us something about yourself that not many people may know?

I’m really scared of snakes, that’s probably something that’s not uncommon. I don’t talk about it too much - but I’m absolutely petrified of snakes.
The other thing is that I was born in Saudi Arabia. I think a lot of people know that, but some people might not.

Thanks Stephen for your time. I appreciate that you're here. See you at Suncorp on Friday!!!Thanks Tom. Good on you mate, it’s a pleasure. And it’s great to see you down here doing the interviews. I know the boys all really love doing it. It’s really nice to see you down here so often. And I think the most important thing is that you’ve been down here all the time, even when we haven’t been winning, and that’s what a real supporter is.

No comments:

Post a Comment